Interval Timer Shooting - Skipping shots?

wardyadam

Hey guys,

Recently I have found that when using my interval timer shooting mode, I am often shooting time-lapse, the counter from say 999, has been skipping down 3 shots at a time. So 1 exposure = 3 shots off the tally!
It's quite annoying as any long shoot is cut in 1/3 now. If want 900 frames for example, I will only actually see 300 photos taken! :confused::mad:

I know the camera pretty well but have I activated something that is causing this? Or am I just being a massive dummy and missing something obvious?
Or, is there something wrong with the camera?

Any help would be massively appreciated people!

Thank you!

nickt

I never do this, so I am not well versed. ...but I think you can get problems if the exposure is not finished processing, noise reduction, card writing, etc when the next exposure is due. The interval includes the exposure time, so you have to give a little extra time for processing or a shot gets missed. Let me find a link, because its just a weak memory....
D7000 quits while in interval timer shooting mode: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7100) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Maybe this is what you are seeing?

WayneF

What are the shutter speed and interval duration you are using?

That is very important, because the interval has to be longer than the actual shutter speed used.

If using automatic exposure, you may not realize what the shutter speed is, but what it was will show in the Exif data.

Not related to your case of threes, but you said "long shot". How long? In what interval? The very common error with interval timer is with a 30 second shutter in a 31 second interval. Sounds OK but 30 seconds is technically 32 seconds actual, which requires a 33 second interval.