Next Nikon

bkmaine

My wife has a D3200. I'm thinking about surprising her with a new camera, which camera is a step up from what she already has. She has s couple really nice lenses, one was a $2000 telephoto.

><>bk

I guess it depends a bit on her glass; does she have much that is DX only? If so, stick with a DX model like the 7200, otherwise go with an FX. The 3200 is a very capable camera and there will not be a lot of difference in image quality unless going full frame. Most of what you get with something like the 7200 is build quality and more features/physical controls.

If she has no frustration with any part of the D3200, how about an insanely good pocketable/purseable like the Sony RX100 mk 4?

Horoscope Fish

My wife has a D3200. I'm thinking about surprising her with a new camera, which camera is a step up from what she already has. She has s couple really nice lenses, one was a $2000 telephoto.
I'd suggest either the D7100 or the D5300, in that order, depending on your budget.

PapaST

Full Frame (or FX) designates the size of the sensor (closely matches the size of 35mm film). DX (models such as d3200, d7100, d5200) sensor size is smaller than FX. Each sensor size has different characteristics. There's a ton of information about the two sensor sizes on the net. Didn't read this one but it might give you some useful info. DX vs. FX: It's Not a Debate, It's a Choice | explora

Yeah... What he said^^^. Bigger Sensor means more depth of field and more light gathering capability. But her lenses need to be designed to work with FX sensors. Many are only designed for DX, which would vignette severely on FX.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,could you give us more details about the lenses she has and the type of subjects that she likes to photograph,if its wildlife she may be better to stay with DX,if you think she will get more and more interested then the D7100 or D7200.

J-see

><>bk

Whether you want to upgrade to FX or remain with DX depends a bit on your lenses. If most of the lenses you have are for DX, upgrading the cam to FX will also force you to upgrade those lenses to FX versions. That can become costly fast.

Which cam depends entirely on your budget. Like Fish mentioned; for DX the D5300 is a nice upgrade while the D7200 is about the best DX available at the moment.