The Focus Ring

Retro

I went to Point Pelee with my daughter the other day for a day of shooting. I brought my FE2, and she brought her Rebel XSi.

We had a beautiful day, and I'll get my pics back next Tuesday.

Anyway, I had trouble with the focus ring. The method of focus I use is the semi-circles with the horizontal line. I read before that this plane has 3 focus methods. This is the one I prefer.

The bottom semi-circle kept going black on me, so I couldn't line up the edges of objects (my daughter's camera strap, for example) since I could only see through the top semi-circle.

Movements I made kept changing the bottom semi-circle to transparent, but I couldn't tell how it was happening. This difficulty caused me to take longer for many shots, and was frustrating for my daughter to have to wait. Nobody likes waiting for a photographer who doesn't know what he's doing. I want to be quick with my shots, so I need to work on all of the things that slow me down. I think a good photographer should be at least as quick as someone with a point and shoot.

Retro

It was the 55/3.5. I changed it later to the 50/1.4. I took a shot under heavy forest cover where the 55 wouldn't allow me enough light, so I changed it, and the 50 allowed more than enough light. I think I had to step it down even.

I have to learn how to work around what you're saying, or work with it.