Zoom/focus barrel loose on 18-55

meddyliol

I have just bought a used Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR lens. I immediately noticed that there is a lot of wobble in the zoom/focus tube. I contacted the seller (who are very reputable) and they said to return it (they paid) for inspection. On their website I noticed the same lens but in version 2. They said they would keep it for me until they have inspected the original lens. My question is, is this a common problem with these lenses or is this just a one off? I cannot afford a better lens at present so for £54 it seems to be a good deal.

Thanks

Brian

10 Gauge

Sounds like maybe it took a hit in shipping. If it's that noticable it's hard to imaging a reputable seller would have sold it in that condition. I don't believe this is a "common" issue, but someone with more knowledge of this lens may come in and say otherwise.

meddyliol

Thanks for your reply. The box it came in was undamaged and the lens itself was well wrapped. I agree with your comment about a 'reputable' seller selling something with such an obvious problem. Will report back when they have inspected the lens. I am beginning to think that their pre-sales inspections might need a tweak.

Cheers

Brian

meddyliol

They have received my lens and confirmed that it is faulty. I decided to go for a Nikon AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX. This seems to be a decent lens, so i'm hoping that this one will be better. At least it has a metal lens mount.
[h=1][/h]Brian

meddyliol

Finally got the 18-70mm lens. It's a different breed that's for sure. Feels a much better build quality and of course, the metal lens mount. My only concern is the horror stories I have read about the zoom/focus failing.

Brian

Schnick

You'll find horror stories about everything online. Noone will go out of their way to post all the great times the lens has proven itself, or the time it focused smoothly. Give it a whirl and see how it handles for you. Ignore what others say.

You've got the added bonus of a little extra length on this lens too. I get annoyed with my 18-55 when I need just that extra little bit of extra zoom to frame the subject better.

meddyliol

Thanks for that. I had forgotten how fickle some people can be. For instance, it would be impossible to buy a car, never mind what make, because someone will have found something wrong with it.

Cheers

Brian

Schnick

I did that exact thing yesterday (Replaced my Corsa with a Zafira) and I'd read so many good reviews from people on the Zafira as a whole, but there was one terrible review for the exact model I was getting. I shrugged it off, cos he seemed he was purposely picking faults (Boot door grip was wrong angle, foot rest wasn't big enough...etc).

Looking forward to seeing what kind of pictures you can pull from your new lens though. I wouldn't mind something that gives me a bit of cross-over between the kit lens and the telephoto zoom I've got.