200mm or 300mm lens

Ejcf

To any one
I just got a Nikon D5500 and I also bought Nikon - AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Telephoto Zoom Lens , I use this lense for the first time today to photo and video my daughters indoor figure skating competition. 1st during videoing I notice it was harder to focus than a dedicated hd camcorder and the built in mic picks up a lot of noise from the lens motors.
But it seems I really only need a 200 mm lens so which is better for low light and over all the
Nikon - AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Telephoto Zoom Lens - Black Or
Nikon - AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Standard Zoom Lens - Black ?
Thanks for any help and suggestions
Bob martilotto

J-see

Personally I don't think it'll make that much difference when it comes to low light.

The 70-300 might have a slight advantage, assuming the aperture will be around 5 when you use the 200mm, while the 18-200mm is at its max at 5.6 but that difference isn't going to do that much when it comes to focusing.

I'd keep the 70-300mm. It's not because you only use 200mm now, 300mm won't come in handy.

Last edited:
The 70-300 is a fantastic zoom. Much better than the 18-200. I own both. The noise is from the focus motor.

Does the D5500 have a plug for an external mic? I had the same problem with my D7100 and just bought a small shotgun mic that mounts on the camera flash adapter. But you must check to see if the D5500 has that plug

I went and looked at the D5500 on Nikon and a couple of other places and it seems that you can use an external mic on the D5500. I would highly recommend it. You don't need to get the very expensive ones to do a good job.

here are the ones I am talking about Amazon.com: mic for dslr: Electronics

I was only planning to use mine a few times so I did not get one of the expensive ones. I think the one I got was the
[h=2]Opteka VM-8 Directional Mini-Shotgun Microphone for DSLR Cameras and Camcorders[/h][COLOR=#555555 !important]by [COLOR=#555555 !important]Opteka[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#B12704 !important]$24.95http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Direct...&qid=1436761807&sr=1-15&keywords=mic+for+dslr
[/COLOR]

Last edited:

Wilensky

What are your primary photography subjects?
If they are indoor, I will go for the 18-200.
If you are doing considerable outside and landscape pictures, Then the 70-300 would be my choice