Wide Angle Lense

06Honda

I am flying to Newfoundland this coming Friday for 10 days photographing whales; icebergs; bird colonies; lighthouses etc. Looking to purchase a good wide angle landscape lense. My main long lense is the 80-400VR; 2 other lense I have but do not use often are Nikkor 18-55 AFS VR DX 1:3.5-5.6G, & Nikkor 50mm AF f/1.8D. Still learning and maybe I need a lense about 200mm or so not sure.

Scott Murray

I think with your current lens line up you are sorted, after all the 18-55 is wide enough, and why go after a 200mm when you have the 80 - 400???

06Honda

Just asking, as I mostly do nature type shots the 80-400VR is mostly on the body. The 18-55 came with the camera when I purchased it but never thought of it for landscapes etc.

Scott Murray

Just asking, as I mostly do nature type shots the 80-400VR is mostly on the body. The 18-55 came with the camera when I purchased it but never thought of it for landscapes etc.
I think it would work well for what you need, also if you do not mind joining after in software you could use the 50mm and take panorama shots (5-10 photos joined),

480sparky

It doesn't do UWA. You know, like the Tokina 11-16mm f 2.8. As fine as the 18-55mm is, I would not head out the door for a 10 day vacation shooting icebergs,.lighthouse and bird colonies with it.

Yet the OP is asking about something in the wide-angle range.... which is what the 18-55 is capable of.

Yes, the 18 can't go wider than 18mm. Nor can it go to 100mm, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800 or 1000mm. It can't do 2:1 macros either. And kit lenses like this aren't really great performers in low light.

So the question really needs to be answered by the OP.

Blacktop

Yet the OP is asking about something in the wide-angle range.... which is what the 18-55 is capable of.

Yes, the 18 can't go wider than 18mm. Nor can it go to 100mm, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 800 or 1000mm. It can't do 2:1 macros either. And kit lenses like this aren't really great performers in low light.

So the question really needs to be answered by the OP.

Are you saying the 11-16mm is not a wide angle lens? That is like saying that a 600mm is not really a telephoto lens because it's way too long. And BTW, why can't I reccomend an an UWA lens anyway?
Maybe the OP doesn't know much about them. Don't start with me today. I have lots of ducks to PP.

480sparky

Are you saying the 11-16mm is not a wide angle lens? That is like saying that a 600mm is not really a telephoto lens because it's way too long. And BTW, why can't I reccomend an an UWA lens anyway?
Maybe the OP doesn't know much about them. Don't start with me today. I have lots of ducks to PP.

No. You're saying it's an ultra-wide lens.

I guess I'll reserve my posts in this thread until I receive an answer to my question from the OP.

Blacktop

No. You're saying it's an ultra-wide lens.

I guess I'll reserve my posts in this thread until I receive an answer to my question from the OP.
Yes I said it's UWA lens. Does that not make it a wide angle? If you were going out to shoot icebergs, would you not take an UWA lens with you?