High ISO noise comparisons, with downloadable NEF files.

Blacktop

Also surprised by the D810 at 12,800 ISO. It's no slouch. Hey [MENTION=31330]J-see[/MENTION], you have the 750 and the 810. Would you say that the 810 comes close in low high ISO noise to the 750?

Horoscope Fish

I used a couple of those shots to test Photoshop's noise reduction filter against NIK Tools Dfine noise reduction and it wasn't even close. It sooo wasn't even close I was shocked. I knew Dfine was the better tool but wow...

Blacktop

I used a couple of those shots to test Photoshop's noise reduction filter against NIK Tools Dfine noise reduction and it wasn't even close. It sooo wasn't even close I was shocked. I knew Dfine was the better tool but wow...
Are you comparing NR tools or the noise on the 750 VS the 810?

J-see

Also surprised by the D810 at 12,800 ISO. It's no slouch. Hey @J-see, you have the 750 and the 810. Would you say that the 810 comes close in low high ISO noise to the 750?

I can't say I shot many high ISO but the D750 is better. The D810 has a dual amplifier which makes it behave slightly different below and above ISO 1000. It's also hard to compare since the D810 is pushed 2/3th stop more into amplification at the same high ISO since its native ISO is lower.

Mind you, the differences are not drastic but the D750 performs better. The increase in Mpix however makes it easier to hide the noise.

Last edited:

rocketman122

Nikon D750 - high-ISO noise performance - Tangents

I dont understand why people wimp out in using their FF cameras above 3200. these images are underexposed to my taste and in fact I would have added another 1/3-2/3 stop then pulled back a bit in PP. women benefit from overexposure as it softens wrinkles and shadows. it would also show even less grain in the darker areas. Ive shot at iso 8000 with my D3s many times when I needed. good glass will be your friend. dont expect to put a 24-120 f4 on it and shoot at 120mm at f/4 and a 70-200 VR1 at 120mm at f/4 and they will look the same. not going to happen.

I bump iso as much as I can so I use flash as little as possible and catch ambient light first, then when the camera/lens cant get me to the exposure I want, I use the flash to take it to the exposure. very simple. but people prefer to flash the crap out of people, have a black background just so they have no grain vs minute irrelevant grain. it looks horrible.

J-see

To check the D750 low light performance in real world application this thread has plenty a shot:

http://nikonites.com/general-photography/28332-balancing-exposure-processing.html#axzz3ff6DNgyG

It's a ISOless vs ISO subject and how to process them but when ignoring that, most shots you see are taken at higher ISO and show what to expect of the D750. I added a couple of the D810 at the end but never tested it as well as the D750. When light gets too low, I put the D810 on the shelf and grab the D750.

The D810's sensor isn't necessarily worse when it comes to noise but what occurs post sensor isn't as clean.

Last edited: