need help please: my AF VR NIKKOR 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED makes only dark pics on my D3

jens

Hi. I have a D3 and recently got a used AF VR 80-400 zoom that is ca. 5 yrs old. When I mount it on my D3 and set the aperture at "32" then immediately the picture darkens to basically black. Once I turn the 32 down towards say 4,5 it instantly lightens up. BUT then I get a fEE warning in the display and I cant take the pic. How can I make this work, please?

Thx a million, Jens

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would think that your lens might have a problem. Maybe you could try it on another body to see if it behaves the same. If you have other lenses from that series (seems you know the older lenses have to be set at f32) that don't behave the same, then it probably is the lens or contacts that are at fault.

Have a look at the contacts and see if the little bearings spring in and out when you delicately push on them, and see if there is some residue on them.

Sorry this might not solve your problem, but it's the only suggestions I have for you with the info you've supplied.

Welcome to Nikonites.

Blade Canyon

For camera metering, you are supposed to set that lens to 32 and then lock it with the little tab down by 4.5 that slides between white and orange. Make sure that is done first. It should look just like the photo below.

Now, if it is still dark when you're at 32, it could mean there is something wrong with the little tab. Most lens are designed to keep the aperture blades open when you are focusing and looking through the lens. Only when you take the photo is the lens given a physical command to close the aperture blades to the correct settings for that photo.

In your case, the blades are closing when you stop down (move toward 32) the lens. That shouldn't happen. The blades should stay open until the very moment you take the photo.

The little lever that holds the blades open is only visible when the lens is off the camera. Take off the lens, and you should see a rectangular metal tab sticking out to the right of the electrical contacts and to the right of the 4.5 aperture mark. (You can see it on top in the pic below.) You should be able to physically move that tab sideways with your fingers, and you should see and feel the aperture blades open and close when you do. Make sure that action is nice and smooth. If the blades are not being help open, that explains why it gets dark when you make the aperture smaller.

nikkor-80-400mm.jpg

jens

Dear Blade Canyon, you seem to be a saint. Will try out as soon as I get home on THU and report back. Thx a million anyway for your efforts. Jens

Scott Murray

Hi. I have a D3 and recently got a used AF VR 80-400 zoom that is ca. 5 yrs old. When I mount it on my D3 and set the aperture at "32" then immediately the picture darkens to basically black. Once I turn the 32 down towards say 4,5 it instantly lightens up. BUT then I get a fEE warning in the display and I cant take the pic. How can I make this work, please?

Thx a million, Jens
What settings are you using? Its a pretty broad statement and without ruling out user error we can not give you a decent response, only guesses.

jens

Ok, could try it our now and you were absolutely right. The tab can be moved easily so that the blades would open, but they don't stay open but slide back closing the aperture. Does that mean that there is a prob with the lens? My other lenses work super fine with the D3. Do you recommend to send the lens in to NIKON?

Jens

Scott Murray

Ok, could try it our now and you were absolutely right. The tab can be moved easily so that the blades would open, but they don't stay open but slide back closing the aperture. Does that mean that there is a prob with the lens? My other lenses work super fine with the D3. Do you recommend to send the lens in to NIKON?

Jens
They all do this, I would try all possibilities before sending it to Nikon.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After you mount the lens on the D3 and lock the aperture ring to f/32, what aperture are you selecting on your camera body? Once you have those initial settings (locking the aperture ring on the lens), you operate the camera body as you normally would when using a lens that doesn't have an aperture ring. I don't have a D3 but expect you change the aperture using one of the wheels like I have on my cameras. The wheel on the camera body is how you now control the aperture. The locked aperture ring at f/32 stays locked though or you will keep getting ERR if you change it.

Blade Canyon

Hark is right. But it's not the fault of the lens if it operates normally off the camera. If you're looking through the viewfinder and seeing a very dark image, maybe your depth-of-field preview button is stuck? The DOF preview button is on the front of the camera, right against the lens at 10 o'clock if you are looking at the front of the camera head on. In fact, the DOF preview button is right where that tab on the lens should be if the lens is mounted properly. The only thing the DOF preview button does is allow the tab to move, thus letting the aperture blades close so you can see what your depth of field will be before you shoot. When you take a photo, that tab moves, too.

But if your camera body is working with other lenses, I'm stumped.