500$ aside, 20/2.8D or 20/1.8G?

SkvLTD

IF anyone had the pleasure of trying out both, what would you aim for? Main thing I'm looking for is AF speed, then IQ/weight. Longevity would be a nice factor as well and that's where G might be more of a miss unless it absolutely excels at AF and IQ in comparison.

rocketman122

If you shoot open then the g is sharpwr. If u shoot closed, 4.5 onwards then d is the better choice i think. Your options is for only these two options? Zooms are not a consideration?

Horoscope Fish

IF anyone had the pleasure of trying out both, what would you aim for? Main thing I'm looking for is AF speed, then IQ/weight. Longevity would be a nice factor as well and that's where G might be more of a miss unless it absolutely excels at AF and IQ in comparison.
I don't have a lot of experience with the 20mm f/2.8D but I have had some time with the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G and it's pretty damn amazingly sharp (and I mean corner to corner and even wide open) and fast handling. I'm not currently in the market for a wide-angle lens but when the time comes, this one will probably be at the top of my list.

SkvLTD

If you shoot open then the g is sharpwr. If u shoot closed, 4.5 onwards then d is the better choice i think. Your options is for only these two options? Zooms are not a consideration?

So this will sum other questions up as well - indoor events, where I typically only shoot @ 24 out of my 85 @ 5.6 w/ flash. Extra 4mm of framing will help and I'll crop what's needed. Wider zoom would distort too much, narrower I don't really need as I can step back.

Shooting wide open may be an option in favor of ditching the flash when possible.

Need fast AF because fast-paced events, and I got used to knowing what my frame would be based on camera position/AF assist beam so I frame without even looking into the VF. That said, step back is never a problem.

Ex. Wizdom - Lights Out! - Skvora Limited Photography

Very little zoom range involved if any, maybe 10% taken via VF vs the assist laser grid.