Greetings

utshutterbug

I picked up a used Canon XTI to see if I would really want to pursue things further......well I already knew that I did but the canon was only $50 so hey.
Anyway, I am fairly sure I want a Nikon, but not sure which model is best for me......still lots to research. I want to stay under $700....lots of bells and whistles out there that I will most likely never use,,,landscape, wildlife, weather shots are my main interest......any help in my research would be very cool.
OH YA......hello from southern utah!!:confused:
Below was one of my first shots, its right of the memory card with no touch ups.......whatcha all think?

Attachments

• IMG_5709.jpg
    IMG_5709.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 50

utshutterbug

Welcome along!

I think the D5300 sounds like it will fit the bill for you both for budget and for features. Check it out!

The D5300 is where my heart is leaning, but after all the research I have been through lately, my head says D3300 and spend extra cash on other things be it glass, accessories, whatever. I do like the swivel/touch screen though...:)

10 Gauge

The D5300 is where my heart is leaning, but after all the research I have been through lately, my head says D3300 and spend extra cash on other things be it glass, accessories, whatever. I do like the swivel/touch screen though...:)
Both great choices, really. The biggest advancement you will get with the D5300 in my opinion is a better, more advanced autofocus system with more points (and crosstype points). The D5200 also offers this AF system and I think is selling for the same price as the D3300, it also has the flip out screen. Nikon has so many bodies out that it can be hard to figure out which one really suits you best.

Whatever you end up choosing, you won't regret.

Elliot87

Welcome!

I will give you the advice I wish I had when I was in your situation just over a year ago. I might not have followed it and you might not either but its worth considering.
If you think you might want to get into the used lens market and look at some of the older glass, you might want to consider the D7*** series. Neither the D3*** and 5*** series cameras have an inbuilt focus motor and can't meter and autofocus older, AI and AIS lenses. You would be limited to AF-S lenses only. An example where a D7*** could save you a lot of money is if you were looking to buy a 300mm prime for wildlife. The 300mm F/4D lens is about £1000 cheaper, a third of the price of the new model. This lens would not autofocus on cameras without a focusing motor so you'd be left with only the more expensive lens as an option.

I don't know prices in the US but would think the D7000 is affordable refurbished. The D7100 is a fantastic camera and has come down in price since the D7200 came out. I bought a new grey market import for £495, I don't know what they go for in the US but the extra cost now could save you money on lenses later.

utshutterbug

Welcome!

I will give you the advice I wish I had when I was in your situation just over a year ago. I might not have followed it and you might not either but its worth considering.
If you think you might want to get into the used lens market and look at some of the older glass, you might want to consider the D7*** series. Neither the D3*** and 5*** series cameras have an inbuilt focus motor and can't meter and autofocus older, AI and AIS lenses. You would be limited to AF-S lenses only. An example where a D7*** could save you a lot of money is if you were looking to buy a 300mm prime for wildlife. The 300mm F/4D lens is about £1000 cheaper, a third of the price of the new model. This lens would not autofocus on cameras without a focusing motor so you'd be left with only the more expensive lens as an option.

I don't know prices in the US but would think the D7000 is affordable refurbished. The D7100 is a fantastic camera and has come down in price since the D7200 came out. I bought a new grey market import for £495, I don't know what they go for in the US but the extra cost now could save you money on lenses later.

That is great advice!!! I will consider it in detail.

Pretzel

Welcome! I'm sure you're already contaminated from touching that Canon, but we can help... *preps large nasty looking needle*

The D5300 is no slouch, to be sure, but if you're SURE you're investing in a long time future, I too would recommend a D7100 or D7200 to start, as you've got more control right at your fingertips, and an internal focus motor as well (among many other nice features). Either way, you'll love your new camera, I'm sure!