Neewer Flash units

montignac

Hi. As I do very little flash photography I did not want to spend a lot on a flash unit. After reading several reviews I chose the Neewer ITTL Kit that comes complete with wireless trigger and receiver. It arrived today and first impressions are very good except the instructions are in Chinese and a form of English that might as well be Chinese. I believe this company is better known in the USA so I am asking you guys if you have this system do you have an English Englidh version of instructions. I have looked on their site in the US and elsewhere but am always told that this has not been set up yet.

10 Gauge

Sorry, no instructions to help you with. But thought I would chime in and say that I am so far very happy with my Neewer flash. Wish I would have gotten the triggers at the same time. Looking at just going with 2-3 Yongnuo units now with built in commanders to forgo needing triggers.

WayneF

Hi. As I do very little flash photography I did not want to spend a lot on a flash unit. After reading several reviews I chose the Neewer ITTL Kit that comes complete with wireless trigger and receiver. It arrived today and first impressions are very good except the instructions are in Chinese and a form of English that might as well be Chinese. I believe this company is better known in the USA so I am asking you guys if you have this system do you have an English Englidh version of instructions. I have looked on their site in the US and elsewhere but am always told that this has not been set up yet.

Neewer may be a US company, but their products are relabeled imports from China. But they are mostly straightforward to use. I have not seen their wireless triggers.

Which model do you have? Is your problem with the flash or the wireless trigger? What are your questions?

See

Review of the Neewer VK750 II Speedlight

Review of the Neewer NW985N Speedlight

montignac

It is the NW565N and basically there is no sense as to what the controls do or how and when you use them, e.g. " here push if change wanted" and my question is "what change and do I want it?" As stated I am a dipstick when it comes to flash equipment as I have only ever used the built in camera unit but looking at the potential as shown in reviews perhaps I might get more into it.

WayneF

It is the NW565N and basically there is no sense as to what the controls do or how and when you use them, e.g. " here push if change wanted" and my question is "what change and do I want it?" As stated I am a dipstick when it comes to flash equipment as I have only ever used the built in camera unit but looking at the potential as shown in reviews perhaps I might get more into it.

Well, for example, automobile manuals do not teach how to drive either, or the rules of the road. They just tell us what the buttons do. Learning to operate it is our own responsibility, called photography.

It would seem to be a fully powered flash, probably a nice one. Generally the left-right and/or up-down arrow buttons change the menu setting values. A little experimentation normally makes it clear pretty fast.

Simplest instruction:

With flash on hot shoe, press the flash Mode button at time or two or three, until the LCD says TTL mode (as opposed to M mode or Multi mode). Park it there until you are ready to try new things.

I don't know your camera model either, but it does not matter greatly, but cameras do vary in how they react. Things like Auto ISO, etc.

Optional, there are other ways, but simplest way - for flash indoors, flash head aimed forward, put your camera in A mode, and set camera aperture to maybe f/5.6 or f/8. Then shoot at will, it is automatic results. Called Direct Flash.

Or you can set ISO 400, and aim the flash head up at a white ceiling (not too high, a 3 meter ceiling is fine), and set maybe f/5, and shoot at will. Called Bounce Flash. Much better lighting then.

Outdoors, for fill flash in bright sun, camera P mode, and shoot at will (but subject needs to be not too far, maybe 4 or 5 meters at most).

There are more details than above, but the above is all very many people know, and they get by.

The most important detail is when and if the flash power level does not seem quite right to give you the picture you want, you can use camera Flash Compensation to set it to do maybe +1 EV or -1 EV less flash than the metering system is targeting. This can vary in each situation, but you can get any result you want. You just have to want to.

montignac

Hi Wayne, yes you are right it will be trial and error. I was just a bit disappointed that the instructions were so poor, not even explaining that you had to be in a certain mode to change values even if the English could be understood.