viewing on tv via the supplied lead

thequeenscheese

I recently plugged the camera into my dads tv (a reasonable quality hd telly) but almost all of the shots were pixelated, any ideas? the tv is a 32" and I'm shooting in raw, 24mp so I'd assume it should show ok? I don't think its a raw problem as the tv is just another viewing screen and not processing any data like the pc does etc, I think I'm right with that?

WayneF

Raw files have embedded JPG versions embedded in the raw file. That is what is shown on the camera rear LCD, and is what goes to to the TV, so Raw is not the problem.

What is your video setting? Setup menu, Video Mode, is either NTSC or PAL. Surely UK should be PAL.

But probably the issue is that for HDTV, you must use a HDMI cable.

The Yellow video and White audio RCA cable is standard definition only, it cannot be HDTV.

Described on page 123 of this "Reference" manual:

Nikon | Download center | D3200

Page 122 is the standard cable, for "standard" TV.

The "Reference" manual is much larger and more complete than the "User" manual that ships with the camera.

This mini-C version of HDMI cable is the same as comes with many small devices, like card readers, etc... you ,may already have one. They are all the same, if they fit.

thequeenscheese

composite red white and yellow carry enough information to be in hd that shouldn't be a problem usually so I'm guessing it's the camera setup and just the way it is then?

WayneF

composite red white and yellow carry enough information to be in hd that shouldn't be a problem usually so I'm guessing it's the camera setup and just the way it is then?

Sorry no, not correct. It's never going to work right that way. Composite (one yellow video cable, red and white stereo audio) is NOT HDTV. It is only standard TV, low resolution. Wishful thinking will not affect that. :)

Page 122 Reference manual shows that, uses words "standard television", and of course, it is something we already know.

Next page 123 shows HDMI (which is HD).

Try HDMI.

WayneF

Sorry, no, that is not correct.

Component is three RGB video cables, and is HD.

But that is NOT Composite, which is one yellow video cable and two audio cables, and is NOT HD.

Composite and S-video are only standard definition. NOT HD capable.

HDMI and Component are high definition capable.

The camera has a Composite and a HDMI socket. Try HDMI.

Before you go too far with this argument, check the internet, Wikipedia, whatever, but read something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

WayneF

Well, you said yellow, red and white, which is composite, and is definitely NOT HD. The cable supplied with the camera is NOT HD. The yellow socket in the TV is NOT HD (Composite is only for old standard DVD players or something).

Component is three red, green, blue cables (there are five cable sets which include stereo audio), but the camera has no component sockets, only HDMI. HDMI is small, and includes audio, and is all that will work.

Try one of these, and if it is long enough, you will be happy with it

Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It is a cramped space in the side of the camera, but it probably fits. Those I have here look the same, and they fit easily.

thequeenscheese

Well, you said yellow, red and white, which is composite, and is definitely NOT HD. The cable supplied with the camera is NOT HD. The yellow socket in the TV is NOT HD (Composite is only for old standard DVD players or something).

Component is three red, green, blue cables (there are five cable sets which include stereo audio), but the camera has no component sockets, only HDMI. HDMI is small, and includes audio, and is all that will work.

Try one of these, and if it is long enough, you will be happy with it

Wired--up HDMI Mini to HDMI Male 1.8m Cable - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It is a cramped space in the side of the camera, but it probably fits. Those I have here look the same, and they fit easily.

ill probably never use the feature again tbh it was only a one off and i just wondered why it was so bad even with none hd it was still bad..