Greetings from Utah!

BMoore

Hello everyone, new member from Utah.

I am new to the DSLR world of photography, shopping for my equipment now. I have a little bit of experience with SLR film cameras; took two semesters of photography in college a couple of years ago.

Any recommendations on equipment would be greatly appreciated. I think I have decided on a D5300 body (unless someone can give me a good reason to go with the 5500), but I am still unsure of what lenses to start out with. I will mainly be taking landscape photos along with shots of my kids/family.

Moab Man

Welcome to the forum. I'm here in Roy, UT.

To your question. There really isn't a bad camera sensor made. So whichever camera you've settled on go for it. Where you really want to spend your money is on lenses. Lenses will make any sensor seem like junk. But great lenses can make a lower end camera over achieve.

Where you at in Utah?

BMoore

I am located in the Salt Lake City area.

I am on a limited budget, so I'm leaning towards starting out with the 35mm lens and adding more later.

10 Gauge

Welcome to the forum!

If you're going to focus on landscapes, go ahead and snatch up that 35mm and D5300, it should be an outstanding combo.

Pretzel

Welcome to the 8th wonder of the world! (Oh, wait... sorry... I was dreaming that I was the announcer for a new King Kong show there for a second...) Welcome to the best forums on the net!