UWA debate/rant

Elliot87

I will be in the same boat as you shopping for a UWA at some point. It seems from what I've read on here that the Tokina 11-16 is very well liked and recommended. It's at the top of the list for me.

Horoscope Fish

When I switched from shooting DX to FX there were only a couple DX lenses that didn't get sold. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 was one of them. Some smashing good glass right there.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There's a store outside of Philly, PA where I bought a used Nikon 14mm f/2.8 and a used Nikon 180mm f/2.8, and both lenses are fantastic. Looks like they have a Like New Nikon 10-24mm for $599.99 if you want to take a look. Fro Knows used to work there, too. You might need to copy the entire URL into your browser since it doesn't appear it will link properly.

Allen's Camera & Video | Product No Longer Available[name]=Nikon-AF-S-10-24mm-DX-f%2F3.5-4.5G-ED-%28USED%29---S%2FN-6004023-Used-Nikon-Lenses&catalog[product_guids][0]=794811

cbay

Been waiting for BH to stock the new Tokina 11-20. Going to be the last lens i get for a long time. Feedback on it appears that it's as sharp as the 11-16 and the extra range and new coatings make this a good lens. Flickr images look good.

Horoscope Fish

I should add that I shoot large/fine JPEG and I don't post process aside from the occasional pano stitching or cropping. I prefer to just try and get the best shot out of camera vs just shoot n fix it later. The Tokina is sharp but has flaring issues, the Sigma is said to be the softest of the listed, the Nikons are premium with premium price.

Any opinions on which of these will have the best quality non processed?
The Nikon 12-24mm.

Horoscope Fish

Truly? So it's the better of these for straight out the camera performance? I've heard it has great quality and manages to stay on top of all the issues the other lens may have. If it's the one then that's great since it's available from B&H right now!
From a pure IQ standpoint, yes. And I'm no "company man" when it comes to Nikon glass, I actually own very little of it, but fair is fair and this time Nikon takes the prize.

It is, overall, the best lens (this time).