A little geography lesson

canuck257

This photograph is of part of the Thompson/Fraser rivers Canyon through which the Trans Canada Highway (on the right) and two transcontinental railways pass. I thought I would post this for those of you who have never seen Western Canada.

DSC_0756.jpg

A closer view

DSC_0743.jpg

canuck257

A place I've wanted to visit for a long time... One of these days, I'm going! Very nice shots.

WM

Then we have something in common, I have always wanted to visit Florida and will finally get to do it this October. If you are coming this way drop me a pm. I'm happy to act as a guide.

Lawrence

I haven't been to Canada but have been to Florida.
Canada looks beautiful and Florida was very nice - especially the weather.

mikew_RIP

Lovely shots,i missed my chance more years ago than i care to remember,land was something stupid like £1 an acre but you had to clear a percentage of what you bought.

Whiskeyman

Then we have something in common, I have always wanted to visit Florida and will finally get to do it this October. If you are coming this way drop me a pm. I'm happy to act as a guide.

Where in Florida will you visit, canuck257? There are several Nikonites from Florida and we can provide advice on where to visit when you're here, if you care for it!

I haven't been to Canada but have been to Florida.
Canada looks beautiful and Florida was very nice - especially the weather.
We're heading into the hottest portion of the year for us. This time of year, I begin to look forward to October and November!
I've tried to get to Australia several times on business, but it hasn't happened. There were too many people that pulled their seniority card out to get to make those trips, and alas, the opportunities aren't likely to appear again with my current job. I'll just have to wait until my children are out of college and can pay for the trip myself.

canuck257

Nice shots, looks like you could spend all day there taking pictures.

The canyon is almost 100 miles long and the terrain varies almost by the yard:D You could spend a week in there and only scratch the surface. This is towards the Northern end.

DSC_0785.jpg

canuck257

What part of FL will you be visiting? Whiskeyman is way up in the panhandle and I'm down south.

Arriving on a cruise ship at Port Everglades on 16th October then plan to rent a car and drive to Gainsville by the 19th. I haven't made any plans for the journey other than to try and visit some of the wildlife places you pm'd to me.

canuck257

Where in Florida will you visit, canuck257? There are several Nikonites from Florida and we can provide advice on where to visit when you're here, if you care for it!

We're heading into the hottest portion of the year for us. This time of year, I begin to look forward to October and November!
I've tried to get to Australia several times on business, but it hasn't happened. There were too many people that pulled their seniority card out to get to make those trips, and alas, the opportunities aren't likely to appear again with my current job. I'll just have to wait until my children are out of college and can pay for the trip myself.

As I posted above to Marilynne the wife (she with the D5300) and I arrive in Port Everglades on the 16th October then drive to Gainsville by the 19th to visit friends overnight. We then take Amtrak on the 20th from Palatka to New York then Chicago then Seattle. I'm hoping to do some wildlife photography along the route. Liz's (the wife) priority is to see an alligator.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Nice job getting the train engine just as it was crossing the bridge. All are nice shots, thanks for posting!

canuck257

The Thompson River flows into the Fraser River about mid canyon and loses it's clarity in the muddy Fraser. This is the Fraser near the Southern end of the canyon a higher rainfall area as you can see.
DSC_0653.jpg

Whiskeyman

Liz's (the wife) priority is to see an alligator.

If her wish isn't fulfilled by the time you get to Gainesville, ask your friends to take you to Lake Alice, which has quite a few resident alligators. Of course, if you walk around the University of Florida campus, you'll see hundreds, if not thousands of Gators (of the two-legged type), of which one might be my daughter.

WM

donaldjledet

@canuck enjoy the train ride a great way to travel my favorite way.
I'm planning on taking a train from New Orleans,Louisiana to Chicago,Illinois.
To go see the Chicago Blackhawks and Stanley Cup, At the horse races in
august.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Arriving on a cruise ship at Port Everglades on 16th October then plan to rent a car and drive to Gainsville by the 19th. I haven't made any plans for the journey other than to try and visit some of the wildlife places you pm'd to me.

Sorry Ivan. I forgot we chatted about this before.:unconscious:

canuck257

Sorry Ivan. I forgot we chatted about this before.:unconscious:

No problem, I planned to contact you nearer our departure date and get a few ideas from you. I nee to study a Florida map to determine what is feasible to visit and what is not. I also need to plan where we will be night stopping en-route. Aaaah, so much to do:confused:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
No problem, I planned to contact you nearer our departure date and get a few ideas from you. I nee to study a Florida map to determine what is feasible to visit and what is not. I also need to plan where we will be night stopping en-route. Aaaah, so much to do:confused:

Do you have AAA? You can probably get a FL map from them for free.