I've created a photographer

Moab Man

After reading my story below, if you have a story about creating a photographer please share it.

I love this photo. Unfortunately, there is so much fine detail it doesn't do it justice at web resolution. BUT, I love this picture for more than just the picture. First, the young man is someone the wife and I met at Glacier National Park. He is a summer employee and his name is Cody. I met Cody when he was outside my room doing some maintenance/painting of the wood walkway in front of my door. He was a very courteous and respectful young man informing me of the paint so I didn't get it on my shoes. I told him I would just be a moment and then I would be out of his way. He saw me bringing out all my bags and bags of camera gear to load into the car for the day. Seeing all the equipment really got him excited as he talked to me about photography and showed me some of the photos he had taken. I asked him about his camera and he had a Sony compact mirror-less with interchangeable lenses. After our chat, and seeing his enthusiasm, I offered to take him out with me after he got off work and we could do some shooting together. So each evening after his days work was done I helped him with his photography and a bit of education on Photoshop. I could tell he was really loving the experience and opportunity so on our last day I offered to take him out and he could use my full frame along with any of the lenses. You could tell by his excitement that I had just handed him the keys to the candy store. In total we spent about 12 hours hiking around Glacier allowing him to play with all the toys. What made it really easy is that he understood the exposure triangle.

Second, the photo itself. The roots and colors in this photo are just spectacular.

From this experience I know that I have definitely started a young photographer down the path of photography to which there will be no returning. And if you are in Glacier National Park, staying at the McDonald Lodge on Lake McDonald, be sure to seek him out and say "hi." Tell him about how you heard of him from a fellow photographer.

DSC_1264_Web.jpg

Sandpatch

Great story and photograph too! Some folks have an interest and others don't.

When taking train pictures, I'm always careful to not spoil someone else's shot by standing in the way. The other day I was out and met another rail buff. I said, "Is it okay if I stand here?" He said that he wanted to take a picture from where he stood, but before I moved I kindly said, "If you come over here where I am, you'll have much better composition -- better light, no automobiles and no phone lines." He said nothing, so I moved aside. He then took his surely-crappy photo and drove off. I don't get it.

RON_RIP

It s great to hear of a young person motivated to pursue photography at a relatively young age. I congratulate you on reaching out a helping hand to this young man. I would dearly have liked to have someone urge me to take up photography when I was young but was middle aged before I finally took up the pursuit of my own accord. Hope you will keep in touch with this young fellow and continue to encourage him.

Moab Man

It s great to hear of a young person motivated to pursue photography at a relatively young age. I congratulate you on reaching out a helping hand to this young man. I would dearly have liked to have someone urge me to take up photography when I was young but was middle aged before I finally took up the pursuit of my own accord. Hope you will keep in touch with this young fellow and continue to encourage him.

I have made the effort, we will see. For his benefit I hope he does. The wife and I are considering sending him a DSLR because we were so impressed with this young man. We already told our daughter that she will be marrying him - decision final!

RON_RIP

I have made the effort, we will see. For his benefit I hope he does. The wife and I are considering sending him a DSLR because we were so impressed with this young man. We already told our daughter that she will be marrying him - decision final!
Good luck with that!