D90 Concert Photography

Özberk Akba?

As you know it is hard to capture a concert without a high ISO range and stability and the other features but D90 is an old camera. As long as my buget doesn't let me to upgrade I need some tips and tricks.

(BTW I am a one year ol photographer so kinda newbie I took photos from concerts before yet it would be great if you guys can give me some tricks maybe ? )

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The only advice I can give you its to watch out for the way you'll be metering. Usually, concert pictures have a lot of blacks in the background, so if you use matrix metering you'll have a grey background and way overexposed skin tones.

My advice is to forget the meter once you've done a few tests to get the right exposure.

Get yourself prime lenses since they are a lot brighter than all zooms.

Good luck and practice.

carguy

Welcome to the site :)

Checkout Photographers like Jared Polin - Tips for Taking Photos | Photography Tip | How To for Photographers or Todd Owyoun - New York Music Photographer Todd Owyoung: IShootShows
They have some great tips for shooting concerts and have been for years.

A D90 can do well shooting shows with the right glass. I often wonder how people successfully shot photography 20 years ago ;)

These images were taken in 2013 when I first started shooting local concerts. Yes they were outdoors, but once the sun went down I maxed out my Nikon D40. I was green, just going off-Auto, very basic body and a 50mm 1.8G & 18-105mm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michiganclassics/sets/72157634654145707

FastGlass

I own the D90 and have shot several concert type settings of school functions. As Marcel stated shoot in manual mode and lock in the settings. Depending on what meter setting your using and what your aiming at will dramatically change your camera settings. Also dial in your WB. A good fast lens will definitely help. I usually shot these from the back of the auditorium using a 70-200 2.8. Another thing to remember is to shut off your focus assist light and the beep confirming you have focus. You will get a lot of annoyed stares from people.

Last edited: