More Tamron 150-600 troubles

mikew_RIP

Well at least i think it looks like that,since getting it back apart from the focus freeze starting again i have been getting loads of slightly out of focus images,the two shots bellow i was just going to dump but noticed something,they where a two shot burst the focus point is in the same place,the front and back focus looks to be different in the shots,i never moved just took two shots.

DSC_3257.jpg

DSC_3258.jpg

nickt

Were you in release priority? And was it a quick point and shoot or were you on target for a bit? I'm just wondering if the lens is slow focusing and was still zeroing in during the burst.

mikew_RIP

The decision has been made for a while now its going back,been undecided between the Nikon 80-400 and the new 300mm pf and 1.4,pretty well decided its the 300 and TC,not that any one can get one.

Elliot87

I'm really being put off buying this lens, although having seen what it can do it's a real shame. Waiting to see how the Sigma 150-600mm C turns out, otherwise it will be a 300mm f/4 for me.

J-see

I'm really being put off buying this lens, although having seen what it can do it's a real shame. Waiting to see how the Sigma 150-600mm C turns out, otherwise it will be a 300mm f/4 for me.

It's a 1000$ lens trying to do a 10000$ job. It is expected to have issues.

Elliot87

It's a 1000$ lens trying to do a 10000$ job. It is expected to have issues.

Sure but some issues are more of a big deal than others. I will have issues if I get a 300mm f/4, like a lack of versatility and no VR as it's highly unlikely I'll get the new one. For me though a lens that has focusing issues, the sort Mike has regularly had and others have reported are a much bigger issue for me. IQ won't be as good either and that is another mark in the 300mm favour.

mikew_RIP

I get the feeling i have a Friday afternoon lens,although after saying that this issue has only started since the last time they stripped and reset the focus.

J-see

I get the feeling i have a Friday afternoon lens,although after saying that this issue has only started since the last time they stripped and reset the focus.

I have had that a couple of times where focus simply missed its mark all the time. During bursts I could have one or even zero good shots. It lasted some hours and then suddenly was fine again. I tried to find an explanation ranging from temperature to fog to VR issues but this far it remains a very mysterious problem. In my case it is a rare problem. A couple of times as long as I got the Tam.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The decision has been made for a while now its going back,been undecided between the Nikon 80-400 and the new 300mm pf and 1.4,pretty well decided its the 300 and TC,not that any one can get one.

Mike, I know you want VR, so that will be a good set up. Lately I've been using my old 300 f/4 D lens witha 1.4x and the only time I miss the Tamron is when I want to zoom on closer subjects and can't. I carry another body with a shorter lens almost all the time, but there isn't always time to change over. I also miss VR when it's dark. You'll have that covered if you get the new 300mm. I will be jealous when you get it, of course! ;)

Bourbon Neat

Thoughts about using the Tamron 150-600 telephoto zoom, known as the Tamzooka.

Within this forum can be seen some very nice captures with that particular lens. I have yet to post a WOW image captured with the Tamzooka. The brunt of that is all on me for sure. This is not an excuse but I do all hand held shooting with that bugger, from a distance. After finally getting it fine-tuned, it shows much better than previously. There are some things to consider if looking in that direction for a tele lens.

* Target distance
* Size of target
* Lighting
* Gimbal head
* Locations
* Auto focus reliability
* Cost

On the majority of posted images we see the exif info. What is not disclosed is focus distance or (target distance). If anyone is getting WOW images with the Tamzooka on a regular basis from beyond 30 meters/100 feet, please speak up. In my experience the wildlife in my area is not human friendly. That is not to say we are enemies but they do keep their distance. For my circumstance it was hardly worth the purchase. If you are located near a park, wildlife refuge or such, then things may be different for you.

We have animals around that are definitely large enough to make a nice capture (bear, deer, coyote, bobcat, elk, eagle, various raptors, vultures), again they are skittish and it is by chance or baiting to get the opportunity for a shot. Smaller stuff is still skittish and quick as a wink. If it will sit for a few moments then it will be captured in raw. I have captured images of deer with the Tamzooka resting on the hood of the jeep at 60 meters/200 feet and those images look like turd, mostly due to evening lighting.

Today was the first sunny day in the past six. Tamzooka likes a lot of light. Some folks will tell ya to set auto iso and everything will be fine, I disagree. See the exif on these 2 images from today, not a cloud in the sky.

Barn-9090.jpg

Barn-9093.jpg

As far as a gimbal head for tripod use with the Tamzooka, I have no experience and have read little on the subject.

Location is critical if you are considering wildlife photography with a telephoto or super telephoto lens. If you are not, or do not have plans to be where the wildlife is available for capturing with your big glass, what is the point?

The reliability of the Tamron 150-600 telephoto zoom lens is less than stellar, see the threads at this forum.

Cost, this is where the Tamzooka shines, 1,000 U.S. dollars. For this price, shooting within 30 meters and well lit it is great.

When jumping into this hobby, the Tamzooka looked to me like the king of the world at its price. In better hands it produces for sure but if I had to do it over again, all things considered, no.

As a side note, it is the only lens of 8 that is sloppy on the mount.

cbay

I agree there seems to be inconsistent results with the Tamron concerning IQ. I scratch my head sometimes wondering why only a few out of many appear sharp when they were in identical situations and technique. I try to be as objective as i can and try to figure out what is causing different results with my technique, settings, and light to control. Birds not in flight is where i spend most of my efforts lately and have found a few things have helped increase the number of Wow images in terms of IQ.
Quality of light. This is the most crucial to IQ that i have found. Under tree canopy my keeper rate is dependent on the amount of light that shines through the canopy onto the subject. In other words, shade = delete, light = potential keeper. Without good light nothing else matters that i have found.

AF-C S. With small birds there is nothing still about them. When i use multi point such as D9, the camera is likely to lock on to an area of a moving bird i do not want in focus. With single point, i have better control over the focus area and have better results at getting good focus.

Tripod/Monopod. With small birds at a stationary location such as a feeder i find a tripod the way to go and use that or a monopod exclusively. With Vr on and good support the lens can give good results at very low shutter speeds.
Hand held the lens is surprisingly good but i don't have enough experience to tell what happens when you increase shutter speed with Vr on. I used it hand held last week in decent light at low shutter speeds (1/250 - 500) and was satisfied with the results.

There are still images that i think should be better but then i start considering things like: Did i give the Vr time to fully engage before i pulled the trigger? Did the bird move? Did i move? Was the light worse than i thought? But still end up scratching my head thinking some should still be better, but, if i broke my lens or it was stolen i would buy another immediately. Aside from Mike's situation i think most who are not satisfied would probably benefit from learning to use the lens where it performs best in terms of settings, light, and technique.

mikew, i hate to hear the trouble you've had with the lens. I wish you could get it worked out with Tamron and either get your money back or a replacement. I don't think you should be out the lens in it's condition. Can't help but think you would be a happy camper if it wouldn't keep locking up on you.

Bourbon Neat, i had some good results with the Tamron on deer this winter out to about 40 yards. The keepers were when there was some light that shined through the trees, resting the lens on a bag, and shot on the head/eyes.

I suspect that in a couple years these lenses will be improved based on customer results and we will be in a better place than we are now. :)
Been thinking maybe we should have a thread about super tele IQ discussion?

Moab Man

Not that it helps MikeW, but I've had some great results following tidbits of advice I have seen him drop. I almost only use it in full sun, keep the aperture no lower than 7, and use it on my monopod with the stabilization on. Finally, I avoid going over 500mm unless I flat have too. If the above parameters can't be met then I throw it on my full frame and let the iso go where it needs to to meet the above criteria.

To date my copy has performed flawlessly on 2 x 7100 & 600.

mikew_RIP

Mike, I know you want VR, so that will be a good set up. Lately I've been using my old 300 f/4 D lens witha 1.4x and the only time I miss the Tamron is when I want to zoom on closer subjects and can't. I carry another body with a shorter lens almost all the time, but there isn't always time to change over. I also miss VR when it's dark. You'll have that covered if you get the new 300mm. I will be jealous when you get it, of course! ;)

Unfortunately its not just wanting VR its needing it:D,at the moment due to frustrations with the lens ime taking the P610 and using it at the extreme limit or over its design ability's,if i go out with a 420mm on the D7100 any thing closer than that will cover i think the P610 may handle, so it will be a camera on each shoulder.

mikew_RIP

I agree there seems to be inconsistent results with the Tamron concerning IQ. I scratch my head sometimes wondering why only a few out of many appear sharp when they were in identical situations and technique. I try to be as objective as i can and try to figure out what is causing different results with my technique, settings, and light to control. Birds not in flight is where i spend most of my efforts lately and have found a few things have helped increase the number of Wow images in terms of IQ.
Quality of light. This is the most crucial to IQ that i have found. Under tree canopy my keeper rate is dependent on the amount of light that shines through the canopy onto the subject. In other words, shade = delete, light = potential keeper. Without good light nothing else matters that i have found.

AF-C S. With small birds there is nothing still about them. When i use multi point such as D9, the camera is likely to lock on to an area of a moving bird i do not want in focus. With single point, i have better control over the focus area and have better results at getting good focus.

Tripod/Monopod. With small birds at a stationary location such as a feeder i find a tripod the way to go and use that or a monopod exclusively. With Vr on and good support the lens can give good results at very low shutter speeds.
Hand held the lens is surprisingly good but i don't have enough experience to tell what happens when you increase shutter speed with Vr on. I used it hand held last week in decent light at low shutter speeds (1/250 - 500) and was satisfied with the results.

There are still images that i think should be better but then i start considering things like: Did i give the Vr time to fully engage before i pulled the trigger? Did the bird move? Did i move? Was the light worse than i thought? But still end up scratching my head thinking some should still be better, but, if i broke my lens or it was stolen i would buy another immediately. Aside from Mike's situation i think most who are not satisfied would probably benefit from learning to use the lens where it performs best in terms of settings, light, and technique.

mikew, i hate to hear the trouble you've had with the lens. I wish you could get it worked out with Tamron and either get your money back or a replacement. I don't think you should be out the lens in it's condition. Can't help but think you would be a happy camper if it wouldn't keep locking up on you.

Bourbon Neat, i had some good results with the Tamron on deer this winter out to about 40 yards. The keepers were when there was some light that shined through the trees, resting the lens on a bag, and shot on the head/eyes.

I suspect that in a couple years these lenses will be improved based on customer results and we will be in a better place than we are now. :)
Been thinking maybe we should have a thread about super tele IQ discussion?

I have been able to return it to my dealer since the first time it went wrong,the main reason i have held of is the importers say there is no problem so will not take it back from him,we have a long working relationship so i have done my best with his help and support to get the problem sorted.