How to focus using Self Timer for SP

Hayreeg

Hi, i am still learning what everything means on my Nikon D3200 and i really want to get the hang of it and use it best for me manually but the one problem i'm having is i want to take a self portrait of myself (fully body not just face) and i set my self timer and focus it on whatever would be kind of in the picture and then run and stand in front of it, but it doesn't focus clearly on ME and my question is how can i get it to focus on me being the subject? I don't have a tripod for the camera or a remote to set it myself while being in front of the camera. I want to be able to get it to focus on me for self portraits for example if i'm alone or no one is around to take a picture of me... Any advice?

-Hayley

WayneF

Welcome to the forum. The self timer focuses when you first press the shutter button, not again later when the shutter opens. You're not standing out there yet, so you need to press the shutter button to focus on something where you will stand, and then stand there.

nickt

You could also use manual focus. Manually focus on something say 10 feet away, then place the camera 10 feet away from your face.

nickt

I forgot the d3200 could use the remote. I have several of those cheap remotes, they work as well as the real Nikon remote.

Hayreeg

Wow thank you guys so much for your replies! I'll check into a remote, just on a budget right now and i'll definitely try and use the manual focusing. Thanks guys!

carguy

Wow thank you guys so much for your replies! I'll check into a remote, just on a budget right now and i'll definitely try and use the manual focusing. Thanks guys!
Budget does not mean low, we are all on a budget of some kind :)

Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control is one of the cheaper items you'll encounter in this hobby