Clicking sound when lens should be focusing

talhas3

So I just came back from a trip overseas and my camera bag was in the airplane carry on luggage overhead. When I got off the plane, the camera is making this clicking sound when I try to take a picture. The lens I have is the standard kit lens that comes with the camera. Also the movement of the lens itself when I move it from 18 to 55mm is not smooth anymore.

It doesn't let me take a picture anymore because it doesn't focus. Could the problem be with the lens itself? Has any one experienced this before?

Please let me know what anyone else has experienced. Thanks

talhas3

I don't have another lens for the camera. That was the only lens I had. How can I try another lens? If I go to a photo store, will they let me just try a lens I intend to purchase to see if the camera is still functioning properly?

BackdoorArts

Put the camera and lens in manual focus mode and see if it fires (I suspect it will). Check the focus adjustment on the lens to see if you can get it to focus manually. If you can't then it's likely all in the lens. If you can then it's the focus motor.

Was the camera well protected in your bag? Was the lens on? I generally remove lenses from the body when I travel as it invites damage if someone gets aggressive in the overhead.

talhas3

The camera was in the On position. I forgot to turn it to Off before putting it back in the bag. Yes it was well protected. It was in my camera bag which is pretty beefy I would say.

Let me try to see if I can figure out how to fire it manually.

talhas3

So I was able to take pictures using Manual mode on the camera and Manual mode on the lens.

So it looks like it is the lens that has something wrong with it. Maybe its a good thing. I was going to get a wide angle lens anyway.

What are your thoughts on the following wide angle lens?

Amazon.com : Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens (AF-S Motor) (for Nikon Cameras) : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Of course I won't get it from Amazon... will get it from a reliable photo store so I can get warranty on the product. I am new to photography. Use it primarily for real estate. Thats why want to get a wide angle lens.

Have to get a nice portrait lens also to capture sharp pictures when family members come over.