Opinions on used D7100

Chattzx

What is the general consensus on buying a used D7100 off Amazon in "like new" condition. Would you guys personally be against doing so? This is my first DSLR so I'd like something to last me a decent amount of time. I was looking at getting the D7000 but everyone says go for the D7100. Thank you!

singlerosa_RIP

Now that you're looking at the 7100, you might as well look at the 7200. Next thing you know, you'll be looking at a D4S. :). My thoughts are that if you want something to last and you don't want to regret your purchase, buy a current model. If you're buying a body with the thought that it's your first and you'll be learning on it while accumulating lenses, then buy the 7000, get some good glass and start shooting.

As for Amazon, I think they have a buyer protection program, so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off. Btw, I have a 5 year old D7000 that I still use for macro and other specialized applications. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chattzx

Now that you're looking at the 7100, you might as well look at the 7200. Next thing you know, you'll be looking at a D4S. :). My thoughts are that if you want something to last and you don't want to regret your purchase, buy a current model. If you're buying a body with the thought that it's your first and you'll be learning on it while accumulating lenses, then buy the 7000, get some good glass and start shooting.

Its a bad habit of mine lol! I started this journey a couple weeks back with a Canon SX530 hahahahaha! Then I bought a D5200 and now I want something in the 7000's. Its a curse.

nickt

How much is it? Do they tell you condition and shutter count? You should should be able to get a refurb d7100 for about $700. The refurbs are pretty much brand new.

nickt

Jim's comment on Amazon buyer protection reminded me... Items purchased from Amazon marketplace sellers will have a less-smooth return process than items sold directly by Amazon. There are 3 possibilities, ships and sold by Amazon, fulfilled by Amazon, and Amazon Marketplace. The first two are very easy. Its broke, you tell Amazon, they send a label. If you want, ups comes for pickup. If its from the marketplace, you deal with the seller, but Amazon will back you up via their A to Z guarantee.

nickt

They are consistently in the 650 range for referbs. Is that a good price?
That's good if it's a Nikon factory refurb. I say that, because there is nothing to stop a seller from wiping down a used camera and calling it a refurb.
Your link above goes to a brand new camera.

Chattzx

Yeah amazon doesn't link to the refurbs. It's a factory nikon unit. I feel like 678 is a good deal since a new one is right at 900.

nickt

I looked down the list of Amazon used. Around the $660 mark, there are some factory refurbs 'fulfilled by amazon'. I'd probably go for one fulfilled by amazon for the super easy returns.

From what I see Nikon refurbs are basically new. (I've only bought a refurb lens). Nikon doesn't buy up used cameras to refurbish. They take cameras returned by customers during the usual 30 days period. low milage.

carguy

That's good if it's a Nikon factory refurb. I say that, because there is nothing to stop a seller from wiping down a used camera and calling it a refurb.
Your link above goes to a brand new camera.
Only Nikon resellers offer Nikon refurbished body/lenses.

What about this one I found for 678 refurbushed with a to z warranty
Nikon dealers currently have manuf refurbished bodies for about $645- $690 ish on ebay through Robers Camera & Adorama.
New is about $900 with current discounts.

For the $200 difference and if YOUR budget allows, I'd go new.

Won't go wrong either way, I bought my D7100 as a Nikon refurb about 18 months ago through Roberts Camera. Zero issues :)

Pretzel

Factory refurb from Cameta (when they're in stock) comes with a 1 year warranty. I think last time I was on their site, they were selling for around $150.00, and it's a guaranteed factory refurb from Nikon USA. HARD to beat that price!

edit: linked to the product, above. Not a sponsored link, so just outta the kindness of my heart.

Chattzx

So one last question. Would you guys get the refurbished D7100 with a new Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX for $846.90 from Adorama (and possibly the 5 year protection plan from New Leaf for $64.95) OR get a new D7100 body, Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens a free 16gb sandisk extreme card, Ruggard commando dslr shoulder bag and an extra battery for $1.093.90? I've never bought anything refurbished so does that mean its "practically new" still or should I just fork over the extra $247.00 for a new body?

nickt

I have no specific knowledge, but I believe a refurb is an early customer return. Most places give you 30 days to return to the store. They go back to Nikon and become refurbs. If you send your new camera in to Nikon for warranty work you will get the same camera back, so they are not building up a stock of refurbs by routinely swapping out cameras sent in for repair.
You are paying $247 more for the new one. That is about right for a new camera and 35mm lens, so the extras are truly free. Battery will be non-Nikon, worth about $20. Not sure which Sandisk Extreme, but its probably a $15-$20 card, and no idea on the bag. So it comes down to how you feel about the refurb. I've only bought a refurb lens. It looked and smelled brand new. I felt more comfortable buying new bodies. If cash was tighter, I would buy the refurb body. I don't think you will find any regrets online from people that bought refurbs.