St. Maarten Photography

Dxer

Greetings gang. I am heading to St. Maarten in November this year.

I am looking for people that may have been there and took some pictures and/or video of the Princess Juliana air traffic. I am looking for lens
ideas in particular and where by rwy 09 did you park yourself to get the most from your lens selection? I don't plan to be jet blasted. I will
probably be pitching a tent at the Sunset Bar and Grill for the most part.

Thanks in advance. :)

sonicbuffalo_RIP

We've been there 3 times. We never got jet blasted, but did spend some time at the Sunset Bar & Grill. You have to go to the surfboard that keeps track of what times the big jets come in each day. That will save you some time. I shot some good shots of jets coming in from their deck/patio. The problem is you can't really get the jet and the beach in the same picture from there. If you had a waterproof camera or protector from the water, I would recommend you get in the water and shoot them coming in overhead from the rocky (yes rocky at low tide) beach. I've seen some great pictures of the jets coming in and shooting them as they pass over and head towards the landing strip. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I will try to recall anything you may want to know. It's a pretty cool airport.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Greetings gang. I am heading to St. Maarten in November this year.

I am looking for people that may have been there and took some pictures and/or video of the Princess Juliana air traffic. I am looking for lens
ideas in particular and where by rwy 09 did you park yourself to get the most from your lens selection? I don't plan to be jet blasted. I will
probably be pitching a tent at the Sunset Bar and Grill for the most part.

Thanks in advance. :)

You can definitely pitch a tent at the nude beach, Orient Beach. It's really a beautiful beach (we always went to the non-nude side) where the water is crystal clear and the sand is white. It's really a beautiful beach. Not a fan of the over 50 nudist folks though.

Dxer

What lenses did you use? I plan on hanging on the fence with a tripod. I will also have a bracket that fits into the hot shoe that will hold my LG G3 smart phone to take video at the same time. And my wife with my d3100 taking pics and video as well. It will be fun

Orient Beach will get a visit too. No nudity for me though. Renting a boat and possibly a small plane for some island hopping as well.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I used a 24-70 midrange since I didn't want to lug around a lot of gear. We were on a tour of the island. Bernard's Tours is the right guide for that if you're interested.

Dxer

Did that give you plenty FOV for the heavies? I won't be lugging much gear either. Just the camera and tripod. But i will need to buy a new lens. 18-140mm is the best choice I believe.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk