Sigma 24/1.4 is now available for Nikon

Horoscope Fish

Almost twice the performance (?) of the Nikon 24/1.4 at less than half the price!

Ouch.

:(
*sigh*

I know I'll own one eventually because the Sigma Art series lenses are just... that... good.

Still wondering when they're going to release an 85mm f/1.4 Art, though, because of course one is coming... The 24mm *IS* a nice hold-over though, I suppose.

TedG954

I use my Nikon 24/1.4 all the time and its performance is stellar. I'll be looking forward to more real-world reviews of the Sigma.

Boy, what I coulda done with that extra grand.... :rolleyes:

Horoscope Fish

I use my Nikon 24/1.4 all the time and its performance is stellar. I'll be looking forward to more real-world reviews of the Sigma.

Boy, what I coulda done with that extra grand.... :rolleyes:
I have a Nikon 24 f/2.8D that I like but somehow it just isn't doing it for me. Great lens but, like you, I'll be looking forward to some honest reviews of the Sigma.

TedG954

Has anyone figured out how Sigma can produce, and sell their 24/1.4 for half the price of Nikon's 24/1.4? Do you think Sigma's manufacturing skills and efficiency is twice as good as Nikon's? Do you believe that the materials in the Sigma are so inferior to Nikon's that they will fall apart soon after purchasing? Will Sigma soon go out of business because they are selling for less than it costs to build their lenses?

Or, is it possible that Nikon is gouging simply because they can?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Horoscope Fish

Has anyone figured out how Sigma can produce, and sell their 24/1.4 for half the price of Nikon's 24/1.4? Do you think Sigma's manufacturing skills and efficiency is twice as good as Nikon's? Do you believe that the materials in the Sigma are so inferior to Nikon's that they will fall apart soon after purchasing? Will Sigma soon go out of business because they are selling for less than it costs to build their lenses?

Or, is it possible that Nikon is gouging simply because they can?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Ted... Good sir. You know, or at least I hope you know, I respect your opinion; so please bear that in mind as I ask, "Is this a serious question?"

TedG954

Actually, it is a serious question. I don't know much about Sigma and how they have measured up to Nikon's quality. I figured there is someone out there that can come up with a logical explanation. I'd much more trust a real world opinion over a paid-for critique.

I'd love to hear that Nikon beats Sigma across the board.... particularly with the thousands of dollars I have invested in Nikon equipment. I'm just hoping I haven't been fooling myself.

wornish

Nikon make great stuff but charge a premium because they can. They have built brand recognition over many years. But newcomers come along and challenge the leaders. Sigma are innovating in manufacturing techniques which are giving the old guard a run for their money.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon make great stuff but charge a premium because they can. They have built brand recognition over many years. But newcomers come along and challenge the leaders. Sigma are innovating in manufacturing techniques which are giving the old guard a run for their money.
Another reason is that they have a bigger organization to support, larger marketing team, more R&D etc. It is very difficult to almost impossible for a very large corporation to size down. It's much easier for a small company to grow and be aggressive with their products.

Second factor is probably the cost of labor.

rocketman122

I admire sigma (and tamron) for stepping up and offering some killer gear that offers a true alternative to the overpriced nikon offerings. finally!!

I think nikon quality has dropped and sigma has done the opposite. the nikon lenses have a cheap plastic build with plastic filter threads and boyonet mount. the hood feels cheap and the AF is slower than the D gen lenses. and sigmas is the opposite. it feels premium. build quality is there and af is lightning quick. the USB dock is a fantastic tool for fine tuning AF accuracy. im certain sigma are making a killing in sales from canon and nikon owners who dont want to dish out so much for fast primes. OTOH that $850 50 ART is way overpriced. we have a first in history of a sigma lens costing more than a nikon. $600- and not a cent more.

I too am dying for them to release an 85 ART.