50mm d

Skwaz

Hi guys been trying to get th 85mm d on eBay but keep sneaking out of reach
what do you lads think about the 50mm d ?
it will be used mainly indoors on the granddaughter , not to keen on flash
i like the idea of the 85 so I can keep a little distance , but will a going to the 50 be a disadvantage
i have a 35 but feel I need to push it in her face to get , sometimes what I'm looking for
thanx guys for your thoughts

480sparky

My 50/1.8 D is my all-around Nifty Fifty, both for digital and film. They are very affordable, and if you want just a bit more length you can always use a 1.4 TC.

paul04

Sold my 50mm 1.8D a few weeks ago, very good lens, just not wide enough for me. Really into landscapes at the moment and shooting at 30mm or under.

str8rcn

I have the 50 and the 35. I agree the 35 feels too close sometime but it works good indoors were you sometime can't get the distance needed. I use the 50 more outdoors and it works great. Im considering the 1.4 now.

analoguey01

Marked difference between the 50 f1.8 and the 85mm -and you'll see it the moment you shoot the 85. I'd say hold out to buy it -if shooting full frame.
For Dx, indoors -quite a long lens!

Horoscope Fish

Nothing wrong with the 50mm f/1.8, but for a DX body I prefer the 35mm.

Shoot with the 35mm you can easily zoom and crop the shot to mimic the 50mm perspective; but you can't widen a shot taken with the 50mm to match the perspective of the 35mm.

analoguey01

The 35mm lens on the Dx body approximates the field of view of the 50mm on a Fx /full frame body (Nikon specifies 52.5mm).

But unless we know what body the OP's shooting with, tough to make too many suggestions!

Horoscope Fish

The 35mm lens on the Dx body approximates the field of view of the 50mm on a Fx /full frame body (Nikon specifies 52.5mm).

But unless we know what body the OP's shooting with, tough to make too many suggestions!
Since we're discussing this in the D7100 sub-forum I think we can safely assume OP is shooting with a DX body.

singlerosa_RIP

Agree that 85 might be a bit long on DX. I have a 50 1.4D left over from my film days and it's transitioned from DX (D100 & D7000) to FF (D600 and D750) just fine. Love shooting wide open for the bokeh and stopped down it's super sharp.