d3200 card problems

rojo

Hi all,
Just joined the forum as I just bought a Nikon D3200 and once I opened the box, I knew I was going to need some help. I Paid a hair under $500 at our local Target store and they said that I have a month to return it if I want. I have had a simple point and shoot digital camera for years but I decided I would like to be able to use some different lenses on it as well as some of the neat things the nicer digital cameras can do. I can't believe all the stuff this camera will do! I just have to figure out what all the buttons and options do!
I don't plan on making a living in photography but would just like to have a nice camera that I can get some awesome pictures with. I am planning on getting a 70-300mm zoom for it but that's about it for now as far as lenses go.
I see them anywhere from $100 to $1,000 or more. I would like to have the lens talk to the light meter and auto focus would be nice as well but would rather not spend over $200 if possible for now. I also took some pictures the other day and can see them when I hit the back arrow as well as on the computer when I put the card in but I just shot about 10 more pictures today and can't seem them when I hit the back arrow and when I plug the card into the computer I can see the icons and picture numbers but no picture. I probably screwed up and hit some button or did something in the menu since I took the first couple of shots that is preventing me from seeing them on the camera or computer??? Also, would like to hear feedback from those who know the Nikon models to see if there is a better model than the D3200 for about the same price?
Your input is appreciated.
Rick

RocketCowboy

Howdy Rick and welcome to Nikonites!

Wow ... a lot of stuff in that opening post. :) Let's see where we can begin.

First with camera bodies ... since the D3200 has been replaced by the D3300, the price for that model should be pretty much at it's low point. Adorama says refurbished versions of that model go for about $330, but new units are closer to $450 after an $80 instant rebate. Looks like you got a good price from Target, and the only immediate way to get something better would be through the refurbished route. Adorama has the D3300 refurbished for about $370, so that would be one option for getting to the latest version of that model. You might also check on refurbished D5300s to see if you could get up to that model for about the same price you paid for the D3200.

Lenses ... for a 70-300mm in your $200 price range, you'll probably need to look for something pre-owned. The 55-300mm might get you closest to your $200 target, but the 70-300mm is a stretch. You get what you pay for, generally speaking, when it comes to lenses, so expecting awesome pictures from a lowest price lens will probably leave you with some compromises. The 55-300mm lens is often bundled in some kits, similar to the 18-55mm lens I'm assuming you got with your D3200. That said, the 55-300mm would be similar quality.

Regarding the card ... my first guess was that possibly somewhere along the way you switched your camera from shooting JPG images, and instead switched it to shoot raw (.nef) images. Not a problem, we would generally recommend shooting in raw if you want maximum ability to correct and optimize your images, but it does mean that your Windows computer may not be able to display thumbnails for the .nef files when you connect the camera to your computer. The one symptom that has me confused is that your camera can't play them back, and it should be able to, but you may want to instead try copying all your files from your SD card to your computer, and then see if you can open them with the Nikon software that was on the CD that was included with your camera.

Hope that helps get you started.

rojo

Thanks Charlie! A lot of great data. I did watch a YouTube about the D3200 and they guy went over most of the settings and he did say to put it in the RAW setting so that is probably actually what happened. I understand what you are saying about the fact that I should be able to view them on the camera though. Thanks for the input.
Rick

Bill16

Welcome to the Nikonites family! The better model question depends on what you think is better. But I will assume you mean higher tech! :) The D5300 that my good buddy Charlie mentioned would be what I would shoot for finding refurbished if I were you! Even if it cost a little more it would give you the better features!:)
I would suggest concerning the card issues that you download the photos that show up off of your card onto your computer, the format your card! To do this, go into the menu scroll down to the wrench icon and push to the right when you find the format push to the right again then scroll to yes and push the OK button! This might help solve this issue if it was caused by corrupted data! If it solves seeing the photo on the camera,but you still can't see the photo on your computer, then you likely need to set your camera back to JPG!

You should read the manual, and using the glossary might help you find answers on how to's! It helps believe me! I hope this bit of info helps get you started! :)

nickt

I agree with the others. Probably shooting raw. We'll get you back there if you stick around, but for now get it back to jpg only. Look for settings for fine quality and large jpg. You can further tweak that jpg for color and sharpness, but don't worry about that yet.

As for viewing on the camera, if it is still a problem after formating. let us know exactly what you are pressing and what you see. You mention the back button... that works if you are already viewing pictures, but if the camera is just sitting there, you need to press the Play first.

rojo

Charlie
You had mentioned that if I was shooting the the 'Raw" mode that I would be able to download the software that came with the camera. I put the cd in but was overwhelmed right away! any hints on doing this?
Thanks
Rick