D7100 and off camera strobes

Robbie Botts

I have a d7100 and 2 sb700s as well as some third party triggers. Once I exceed 1/250 the shutter is too fast for the señor to read the light the flash has given. It'll light half of the frame, the other half will be underexposed. I know the unit has off camera flash capabilities, but that shit sucks turds. Any way around this problem?

carguy

Welcome to the forum.

Any reason why you are trying to exceed 1/250 when using the strobes?

That is a limitation of the camera, sounds like you should look into High Speed Sync (HSS).

WayneF

The 1/250 second is the focal plane shutter Maximum Sync Speed. It is more than plenty for indoor flash, simply not an issue. Shutter speed does not affect the flash exposure. So only time it's an issue is fill flash outdoors in bright sun. For several decades, this maximum sync speed was 1/60 second, and we learned to make do. :)

The camera Auto FP mode (HSS flash, camera menu E1) will work on your camera and your SB-700 flashes, including as remotes with the Commander, but radio triggers will not work with HSS. Any shutter speed then, but HSS reduces the flash power to about 20%, so the range is not great, but perhaps fill flash level at up to about 10 feet in bright sun.

Last edited: