A question about large prints

canuck257

I'm printing some 8"x10" prints at home that I am quite pleased with but would like to get some larger ones done for framing. I'm thinking approximately 20"x15" to fit some nice frames I already have.

What size of file (presumably .jpg) would a professional printing house require to produce a quality print of that size and would my D5300 produce such a file? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea what's involved.

Rick M

You could print a 16x20 from a 3 MB file, it really depends on the image. The D5300 is certainly capable, shoot RAW for the largest file size. 36x48 shouldn't be a problem with the D5300.

nikonpup

check with your printing service on what they recommend, got this from flickr. Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Mozilla Firefox 5112015 70034 AM.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not sure if the sensor of the D5300 is the same size as my D7100, but my photos are 20" x 13.333" out of camera. If you are shooting jpeg, make sure you have the camera set to jpeg fine and large for the size. RAW will definitely be better for enlargements.

Even if the photos aren't quite that big, you should be able to enlarge them with Photoshop or some similar program.

canuck257

Thanks guys. I just checked and the files from my D5300 shot in RAW/Fine are showing a size of 20" x 13.333" in Photoshop Elements so I guess I don't have a problem.

Nikonpup, I was surprised to see in your list a minimum DPI of 100, in my ignorance I assumed the minimum would be 300 for a good print.

Thanks guys. I just checked and the files from my D5300 shot in RAW/Fine are showing a size of 20" x 13.333" in Photoshop Elements so I guess I don't have a problem.

Nikonpup, I was surprised to see in your list a minimum DPI of 100, in my ignorance I assumed the minimum would be 300 for a good print.

I think minimum is not necessarily optimum. 300 DPI would be much better.

Blade Canyon

Thinking aloud, if you can print 8x10's at home, you could test the limits of your files by setting one to the desired print size, then cropping out an 8x10 portion and printing that.