Is there a way to get LR 5.7 back after updating it to LRCC 2015?

Blacktop

I hope LR fixes this shit soon. I can live with the EXIF problem, but this thing is getting slower everyday now. A simple export is taking almost half a minute now. Before maybe 5 seconds.:mad:

J-see

There's a setting in preferences that allows you to purge the two caches used. At least in LR 5.7 there was.

Edit/preferences/file handling

Not sure if it will help since it might not be a cache issue but you can try and see what happens.

Last edited:

Blacktop

There's a setting in preferences that allows you to purge the two caches used. At least in LR 5.7 there was.

Edit/preferences/file handling

Not sure if it will help since it might not be a cache issue but you can try and see what happens.

Thanks, it didn't help. Looking into RT in the meanwhile.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Are you using graphics processor acceleration? I turned this off and things actually got faster. I was not having issues anything like your's, though. Really, everything is moving along at about the same speed as LR 5 was for me.

Blacktop

Are you using graphics processor acceleration? I turned this off and things actually got faster. I was not having issues anything like your's, though. Really, everything is moving along at about the same speed as LR 5 was for me.
No, I turned it off a while ago. I may have something going on in Windows itself. Uploading to Flickr seems to take longer as well. I'm going over to my Linux partition to see if things speed up. If they do, then it's definitely my Windows 8.1 is bogging down for some reason.

BackdoorArts

To answer your original question, no, you cannot go back. If you have a backup of the LR 5.7 catalog that was converted (something you should always have before upgrading) what you can do is to create XMP files for all photos loaded into LRCC post conversion and then import those into LR 5.7. Some edits around things like brushes within gradient filters may not get taken (it's a non-even gradient and I have no idea how LR stores it - you might be OK as long as you never try to edit the Gradient or Radial Filter).

What I'm finding is that with LRCC set to use my graphics processor, things are definitely faster as long as I don't have anything else up and running. If there are Firefox windows in the background or potentially other things that have sucked up some processor cache then it can bog down. I'm getting the CPU fan kicking in on simple LR edits where it never used to. It has 16GB of RAM to use on my Macbook Pro, but if other apps are sucking it up then I may be better using the old performance arrangement. I think it's gonna be a while as people figure out how best to set certain things.

Exports seem fine. Imports, on the other hand, were horrendously slow after I swapped to auto-sizing on my 1:1 previews (seems the standard for my Retina display more than twice the old default - I've since opted for something smaller).

Carroll

I have LR CC and LR 5.71 installed on my Windows 7 PC, and can use both.

By using right click on LR 5.71 shortcut icon on my desktop, and choosing "Run as Administrator" every time I open LR 5.71, it works for me.

The first time I did this, in the pop-up window I received, I chose "Ignore updates". After that, LR 5.71 opened as usual, and allowed me to back it up as usual.

I did not update LR 5.71 to LR CC, I installed LR CC from my CC app.

I might add, my cat likes to help me when I am using my computer, and *could have* applied some feline code when I wasn't looking...lol

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not certain, but I think it only does the "corporation" exif thing when using a picture that was worked on with a previous version of Lr. I'm working with CC versions on my iMac and MacbookAir and I got the corporation thing only when I exported some of my older pics today. I will try again to see if I can reproduce the problem on my MacBookAir with some older pictures. But I do have to re-import them first since the upgrading got my catalogs confused.

BackdoorArts

When i updated it did a separate catalog/desktop shortcut..So you could still use 5.7 if you wanted..

I have LR CC and LR 5.71 installed on my Windows 7 PC, and can use both.

By using right click on LR 5.71 shortcut icon on my desktop, and choosing "Run as Administrator" every time I open LR 5.71, it works for me.

The first time I did this, in the pop-up window I received, I chose "Ignore updates". After that, LR 5.71 opened as usual, and allowed me to back it up as usual.

I did not update LR 5.71 to LR CC, I installed LR CC from my CC app.

I might add, my cat likes to help me when I am using my computer, and *could have* applied some feline code when I wasn't looking...lol

Just to be very clear here, yes you can have both versions co-existing on your computer with no issues, but once you convert the catalog you cannot unconvert it, and you cannot share one.

When I opened LR CC for the first time it converted my catalog and it did so in place. In other words, the catalog file was updated and saved with the same name. Since then I've gone back and converted older catalogs and these have been given a '-2' designation. This may have changed in the patch that was uploaded in the first week for precisely the purpose of allowing people to go back if they didn't backup their old catalogs.

What I'm saying is that if you're not sure about LR 6/CC then perhaps it's best to do only new work in that as you can always save the XMP files and load back into LR 5 should you abandon it. Otherwise, purposefully back up the LR 5 catalogs before converting because you can never convert a 6/CC back to 5.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

That means when Adobe raises their CC rates, the huddled masses will be shelling out just to be able to keep up with their catalogues. I'm thinking we're screwed either way since we have to upgrade in order to keep up with new cameras and lenses.

Blacktop

That means when Adobe raises their CC rates, the huddled masses will be shelling out just to be able to keep up with their catalogues. I'm thinking we're screwed either way since we have to upgrade in order to keep up with new cameras and lenses.

There are many other programs out there. The only way you would be screwed ,if the government mandated that there will be only one photo editor and anyone caught using the non approved editor, will be shot.

J-see

I doesn't harm to have multiple editors. In case something happens, whatever it might be, you don't have to start from scratch learning to use another editor.