Remote control start stop recording when shooting video.

voxmagna

Hi, can anybody tell me if I've missed something in the setup. I have the ML-L3 wireless remote which triggers the shutter ok in still modes. But I can't get it to do anything for video. Please tell me Nikon have thought that most using the video option will mount the camera on a tripod and the remote will start and stop recording without having the first and last frames wobble whilst fiddling with the shutter button. Damn where is the cable release socket!

WayneF

Please tell me Nikon have thought that most using the video option will mount the camera on a tripod and the remote will start and stop recording without having the first and last frames wobble whilst fiddling with the shutter button.

I don't know, and not the answer you want, but side stepping it, the real world is that typical "movies" are composed of dozens/hundreds of very short shots, maybe 5 or 10 seconds each. Keeps it from being boring. We need movie software to put it together and edit it. It can be shown frame by frame, and it's nothing to cut off shaky or unwanted parts. At least in my case, half of what we record ought to be deleted anyway. :)

I do not know, and am only guessing, but see D750 menu G4 to see if that helps.

Last edited:

voxmagna

I forgot to mention that I've re-assigned the video record button to the main button, as that makes more logical sense to me if you want to find record and keep the camera steady when hand held. I haven't got the cable release yet so I cannot try it. But it is a pretty poor show not to have remote start stop of video recordings. I have now seen that if I enable the ML-L3, switch to Live View video shooting mode, then go back and look at the remote setting, ML-L3 is grayed out. So it would seem Nikon see no logic in being able to start and stop video recordings with the ML-L3, when your D750 is on a tripod. Seems strangely illogical to me.:confused:

...And there's another thing: When you set the remote ML-L3 option to 'on' (whatever mode you fancy) It is NOT persistent. If you turn the camera off and on the remote control setting is removed to OFF. Can anybody explain what is logical about that? The D750 seems quite happy to shoot with the button or use the remote at the same time. When you have the D750 sat on a tripod you may want to shut it down to save battery and go off to lunch. When you get back you will have to re-enable your ML-L3 'on' option. But in the way most intuitive minds work, you will be pressing away on the remote thinking the battery has gone flat or you drank too much beer!