In camera settings

Skwaz

hi guys
I'm using nx2 for now and just wondered when a shot is opened for editing ,
is it possible to apply in camera settings as a starting point for further editing
Just been out for a walk and I was set for JPEG ?? Having said that they were pretty decent
so thought in camera settings would be a start, given that nx2 is pretty basic

mikew_RIP

I am in a unknown area with jpeg and nx editing but if you have shot jpeg wont they have had the in camera settings applied. in camera.

Skwaz

Thanx for reply Milkdew
Maybe I'm not being very clear , I normally shoot Raw , and would like to know
if it's possible to apply In camera settings to a Raw file as a starting point to editing in nx2

nickt

It should be applied. For a quick test, set your picture control to monochrome. You will know instantly whether or not picture controls are being applied.

nickt

I just tried it to get re-famailiar, I don't use nx2.... When you are viewing your raw file for editing you should see 'picture control' in the right hand panel. It defaults to 'as recorded', but you can change it to any of the other picture controls that are available in camera.

Skwaz

Thanx nickt
i took two identicle shots one Raw one JPEG and they look exactly the same when viewed
if I change picture control to Standard then that is what I expected a raw file to look like
The amazing thing I saw was how much a JPEG gets worse with every edit , I knew it did but surprised how much
I edited it several times , it ended up rubbish , so to end this , unless you have standard set in camera nikon nx2
does show an image comperable to JPEG , with all the raw editing

hi guys
I'm using nx2 for now and just wondered when a shot is opened for editing ,
is it possible to apply in camera settings as a starting point for further editing
Just been out for a walk and I was set for JPEG ?? Having said that they were pretty decent so thought in camera settings would be a start, given that nx2 is pretty basic

I use Capture NX2 a lot. It will automatically render your camera settings, if you're using a D7100 or other supported Nikon DSLR. There is a 'panel' in NX2 that is called 'Camera Settings', and you won't see that available on a jpg. That's one of the many reasons that I prefer to shoot RAW. It allows you
to tweak white-balance, picture-control, and gives you a different set of D-lighting adjustments.

Of course, you can use the in-camera special effects, if you shoot jpg (won't work with RAW), if you like those. I Like 'color sketch' sometimes. So, I put jpg's copies on my second card, just in case I want to turn one into a color sketch photo...

Also, when you go to edit a jpg, make sure you make all your changes in one session and then do one save. That will keep the jpg from degrading the picture quality.

Last edited: