Canon...but still awesome

fotojack

Pretty cool technology. Nice for high end pros. Probably won't be affordable/available to the general public for some time to come though. Still.......pretty cool stuff.

Browncoat

I don't think that will happen though, there will always be a need for storage. I am surprised that camera makers haven't embraced much in the way of wireless technology though. I mean, really all it would take is to share a bit of wifi and 3G cell phone technology to bring these DSLRs up to snuff. If cell phones can integrate cameras, then surely that can be reverse engineered.

Jack is right. Average Joe Consumer isn't going to pay upwards of $700 for this technology. It's already on every street corner. The idea of being tethered to a cord while shooting in a studio is so...1990.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm pretty sure this stuff will be available on a semi-pro level in a couple years. Things always go to the pros first - then someone makes it cheaper and more available.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Is everyone forgetting about the Eye-Fi cards? Ok you can't take it out to a golf course and cover the whole thing I know, but it almost the same thing. I can shoot anything in my yard and have it go right to our laptop though my wireless router network. If I can find an open network outside of my house it will work the same way. (i.e. Starbucks, Mc Donald's etc) Ok, I'm not going to do a photo shot at either one of those locations, but you see my point, all I need is an open network, or the password to get into it and I have wireless up loads to my laptop. That's the only limitation I have with my card, the distance. I could have the card upload it to an web site and have the laptop download from there, but I'm afraid there would be a loss of quality and have not tried it yet. So the technology is all most there on a consumer level.

A few times I have been on my phone with my blue tooth in my ear outside shooting something and Chris has been inside on the laptop giving me feedback on the shots as they come in. I find this very handy.

If you think your "Tethered to a cord in a studio" all you need is a wireless router and one of these cards. For under $200 you can do this. Wireless routers are what $50 or so and the cards are $40 for the one that handles JPG only and $100 for the one that handles JPG and RAW files.

Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo & video uploads straight from your camera to your computer & the web.

Browncoat

My point was, this is 2011. This technology shouldn't be an add-on, it should be standard operating procedure. The rest of the world went wireless almost a decade ago.