A puzzled Nikon F-801 purchaser.

Hi to all of you snappers out there.
I have recently added a rather mint condition F-801 body to my other Nikon cameras. It is a camera that came with the inability to wind the film on when a newly loaded film was inserted into the body. It was displaying the number 16 in the LCD window and not the E as is usual,I sussed it out and all is otherwise OK albeit I have not attempted to load a film- as yet.

I have chosen to familiarise myself with the camera settings and get the feel of it before loading a film.

My latest snap-stopper discovery is that when fitting a lens to the body the view-finder is blank and dark but without the lens it is perfectly OK with the focusing screen perfectly visible.

I have attached both a Nikon AF Nikkor 28-80 1:3.5 5.6 D and a Cosina 100-300 32-5.6 macro with push/pull zoom and auto focus that is powered by the auto focus on my Nikon F80 bodies.

These lenses are both fully functional on the F80 bodies but are "in the dark" on the F-801 body. It is just as though the mirror is in "Lock-up" but that is not the case.

Please advise/put me out of my misery !!!