Trouble Auto Focusing with my new Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

Inez81

I tried setting this up with the auto focus setting. I hit the "i" button twice and cannot activate the AF-A option on my screen. It appears to be stuck on MF.

I am using a Nikon D5200. I'm I doing something wrong?

Inez81

This lens doesn't have that switch. When I ordered this I assumed that this had auto focus capability since the name has AF in it. I'm a newbie at this. Still a great lens, I'm excited to use it.

J-see

This lens doesn't have that switch. When I ordered this I assumed that this had auto focus capability since the name has AF in it. I'm a newbie at this. Still a great lens, I'm excited to use it.

It's an AF lens I see. I'd have to check if the 5200 has an inbuilt focus motor and if that lens requires it.

Felisek

Both lens and your camera lack autofocus motor. This lens will not autofocus on D5200. You can only focus it manually.

Edit: Here is more explanation. There are two lines of Nikon autofocus lenses, AF and AF-S.

AF lenses don't have the autofocus motor and use mechanical coupling between the lens and the camera body. They require a camera with a built-in motor to drive the autofocus mechanism. Not all Nikon bodies have the motor inside them. Your D5200 doesn't. You would need a D7x00 camera to autofocus this lens.

AF-S lenses have the autofocus motor built inside them and they can autofocus on D5200.

Last edited:

J-see

Maybe someone can verify it but when I check the manual, it says the D5200 does not auto-focus AF G or D lenses. Those are manual focus only.

It's not because there's AF on the lens, it does AF on all cams. Some require a cam with a motor to focus them. Someone here with a D5200 could tell you with certainty.

Inez81

[h=3]"Nikon D5200 vs D7100: 3. Autofocus – AF vs AF-S[/h]The D5200’s smaller body does not contain an autofocus motor. That’s fine if you intend using Nikon’s later AF-S lenses, which have their own autofocus motors, but not if you have older AF lenses, where the focus mechanism is driven by the camera body." - Digitalcameraworld.com