New member with a question

f2.8

Just joined and an grateful that there is a Nikon forum to learn and share from. I own a couple of photography businesses but also enjoy it as a source of artistic expression.

I recently went out and shot with a ND filter and got the results below (left corner) on many of my images. It's not lens flare. I'm wondering if it's the rear shutter curtain?

I included the full frame as evidence.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

DSC_2905.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Was this a variable ND filter or other? And you didn't stack the ND filter on top of a second filter?

J-see

Was this a variable ND filter or other? And you didn't stack the ND filter on top of a second filter?

I was thinking the same. Unless it's an applied effect, he also got some serious vignetting going on. I get that when I stack on a wide.

Last edited:
Light sneaking in through the viewfinder?

That was my thought as well, as flare coming through the ND wouldn't wash out quite that much, IMO. Were you in live-view? Was your back to the sun?

I have had the exact same thing happen when there was light behind me. Cover the viewfinder during long exposures. Nikon sends a little cover with new cameras just for this problem. That generally is the first thing we lose.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have had the exact same thing happen when there was light behind me. Cover the viewfinder during long exposures. Nikon sends a little cover with new cameras just for this problem. That generally is the first thing we lose.

I think you are right Don. His D700 does have a built-in curtain for his view finder. Just need to use it.