Photographing the "Why"

Browncoat

We often discuss and refer to creative vision in photography. It's not something you can read about in a book. It's not really something that can be learned at all. It's in you. When you get down to the basics, there are only two ways to describe your photographic vision:

What and why

In previous threads, we've discussed how photography is subjective, just like any other art form. We've talked about how different people see and like different things, and not everyone is going to interpret your work the same as you do. In model railroading, we have a term that describes "what and why" very well. It's called Givens and Druthers.

The "Givens" are just that...the givens. The undisputed facts. They are your camera settings: ISO, shutter speed, focal length, etc. Givens are the technical side of things that make a good photograph. The "Druthers" are the fudge factor. They're the needs and wants, the goals and aspirations. Druthers will help you answer the very important question: why do you carry your camera with you everywhere you go? Givens is about learning to be a photographer. Druthers is about being a photographer.

I'm willing to bet Pete's bank account that your best photographs are of subjects that interest you the most. The things you're passionate about. But are you able to focus that energy elsewhere? Are you able to up the ante on the rest of your work to convey your enthusiasm?

Forget the what

Your best photos are automatically going to be technically sound. They wouldn't be good photos if they were out of focus, right? So don't worry so much about having all your settings dialed in perfectly and just shoot. Because here is a Givens for you: All technically good photos are not interesting, but all interesting photos are technically good.

Shoot from the heart. What moves you? More importantly, what moves you so much that your photo can move others? It can be something beautiful, something weird, or something important. It can even be about the mundane. When you photograph something that evokes an emotion in you, you are far more likely to convey that emotion to someone else.

At the end of the day, no one gives a crap about what lens you used. They want to know why you were compelled to press the shutter in the first place. We are always learning how to make our photos better, but I think we put too much energy into the Givens instead of the Druthers.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Carolina Photo Guy

You know, I have read this 4 times and I can't find any fault. I do know that, if technical prowess is a prerequisite, that I am NOT a photographer.

Honestly, I could give a damn less what the settings are. On ANY of my shots, you could ask me what the settings are and my answer would be, Auto!

My aim is not to produce a technically perfect photograph. My aim is to get that damn image out of my mind and on paper. Every day, somehow an image

gets stuck in my mind, and it will drive me up the wall until I get it out! It may be a flower, insect, boat or whatever. I then start to roam until I find it and shoot it.

Then, all is at peace again. At least, until tomorrow. Then it starts all over again.

So, I guess that I am the Druthers with no interest in the Givens. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. But it is the way it is.

Jacqueline

I don't think you're going to get to much disagreement about the idea that the why matters more than the what. The main reason people try to understand the what is to better communicate the whys. My first camera was an old rangefinder that my grandfather gave me when I was about twelve or thirteen. It was manual everything. For the first few months I walked around with a little note book to note down the film speed, the f-stop and shutter speed. I don't miss those days at all. I'm very happy to be able to think more about the why than the what.

I'm hesitant to disagree with the second part of what you said, unless Pete's bank account is very small. I'm not sure that my best photographs are about things I'm passionate about. I love cats and my photos of cats are not especially interesting. Also, within the past few months I've taken tons of pictures of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, butterflies and other garden dwellers. I haven't posted these because they're really not very good as photographs. Their appeal depends almost entirely on the subject. I also love buildings and my photos of buildings aren't especially good either.

On the other hand, I think my photographs are best when I find something visually interesting despite the subject.

Last edited:

jengajoh

I agree. A good picture is a good picture, it doesn't matter what your settings were. You made that picture by yourself. You decided to press that shutter when and where you did and if it's a good shot no one can argue, no one can tell you its wrong. I guess they can but if you are happy with it, if it moves you then thats what makes it right, right?

I shoot in manual all the time, I use the light meter as my guide. I want to control the amount of light, and control as much as I can about the photo, not because it will be technically right but because I want it to look how I want it to look.

fotojack

Very well written, Anthony, and I completely understand where you're coming from on the matter. However, I must confess to not being completely passionate about anything I shoot. I'm one of those "if the mood or subject strikes me at that particular moment" kind of photographers. For instance, when I work at the motorcycle track as a corner marshal, I take my camera with me, to get shots of the bikes as they pass by my corner. Are they good? Sure, some of them are....but not all. It's hard to get a good pan on a bike traveling at over 100 miles an hour. But I love the challenge of getting a great shot. While I'm there, and I see a bird or some other animal, I'll see if I can get a shot of it.
Other days, I roam around the city, or the bird sanctuary, or down by the weir, where it's the ducks and birds and wildlife that captures my interest. Other times, I like taking photographs of people downtown.
So, to make this short......part of what I shoot is found in Pete's answer, and part of it is in Jacqueline's answer. It's more than a why or a what or a how.....it's more of a feeling, a mood, a vision in your mind's eye. But.....that's just the way I am.

Last edited:

jcottone45

Well here is my take, when I grab the camera I have no idea what the givens are I just see what I like focus if non auto & shoot most times I have to change the givens then shoot again & it usually works better as for the inspirational & communicate the why I did it I can't explain I guess thats why I am the half assed photographer.

Browncoat

I shoot in manual all the time, I use the light meter as my guide.

I'm intrigued by this, Jen. Generally, I only shoot in manual when I'm in the studio. Are you using the camera's meter or an external one? I have a Sekonic meter, and honestly, I think I've only ever used it once.