Upcoming Glacier National Park, U.S.A.

Moab Man

The wife and I are heading to Glacier National Park for this years summer photography trip. She is hugely excited for this trip - this is one she really wanted to do. I know that the park is huge, and we have a week, so I'm looking for some tips on where to go so that we minimize how much time we spend spinning our wheels.

Priority of what we (we being my wife) would like to see.

1. Bears - Is there an area/place in the park that would be good bear seeing country. If we can shoot wild bears it would make the trip for her.

2. Glaciers - Looking for locations that you can capture that glacier blue. She has never seen a glacier, in spite of the fact people in Utah call snow that lasts over summer a glacier. I want her to be able to be right there with glacier and to see that color.

3. Waterfalls - Looking for some picturesque waterfalls. Would love to capture a high waterfall.

4. Landscapes - Beautiful vistas hopefully with glaciers in them.

5. Milky Way - This is the last priority and it is for me. Looking for a place that will give me something great in the foreground with the Milky Way behind it.

Feel free to post up any pictures you have shot from Glacier.

Thanks everyone.

Blade Canyon

Have a great trip! I was there 12 years ago and loved it. Can't remember any specific tips, but there are some grand vistas to see simply from the Going to the Sun Road if you time the light right.

Blade Canyon

Here is one tip I do remember. If it is raining on one side of the park, go over the pass and hike on the other side. It's two different weather systems. We stayed in Whitefish and would drive to the main gate, then take the Going to the Sun Road over Logan's Pass and hike on the eastern side because the west was wet almost every day.

Also, more people get killed by bison than by bears, yet we saw folks setting up tripods 20 feet from bison.

Last edited:

480sparky

When are you planning on being there? I've got my trip penciled in for late August.

BaringCreek_4203post.jpg

MtClementsandReynoldsCreek_c2g_4442post2.jpg

GlacierNationalParkNo3_4720post.jpg

Moab Man

Counting down the hour, six to be exact, and the wife and I will be heading off to Glacier. Picked up some new glass, filters, monopods, bear spray, and upgraded my wife's sidearm.

Since the park is still mostly closed (accessibility) we have shifted our objectives a bit. Getting up close and personal with a glacier seems to be out. Instead we are on the hunt for Grizzlies, water shots, and landscape. At the tail end of the trip I'm going to try and pull off a bit of Milky Way photography.

If we have internet then we will do some posting along the way. Otherwise I hope to check back in with everyone in about 10 days. That is assuming my wife does not have to implement her bear plan. Her plan is first survival - see a bear coming towards us and she shoots me in the leg. Second part to her plan is to capture great action photography of a bear on the hunt followed by feeding. I think these two steps may have something to do with each other.

Until later, wish us luck on our Grizzly hunt.

480sparky

There's no cell service in most of the park. You'll need to drive to the outskirts of the park to get service. I would think most lodging would have phone service, therefor a wireless system you could log on to, however.

The short hike from GTTSR to St Mary Lake is worth taking, even if you backtrack. (GPS 48.678623 -113.595098)