Simple commerce

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just wanted to share these images with the folks here. This is the small port where I live here in Japan. Right in front of my condo has a lot of things going on. I'll describe more as I post the pictures.

Condo 031.jpg

The next pictures are actually Subaru SUVs that were transported by trucks and staged to this port. Once the lot is full, then a cargo ship arrives to pick them up and delivers them to other countries. A crew of 10 drivers plus a van follows the drivers from the lot to the cargo ship until the cargo ship is full.

tuna 006.jpg

D800E 001.jpg

Meanwhile, the frozen trucks above are waiting for the fishing vessel to transport the tunas to the various markets in town.

The Tug boats below supports the busy port as they come in and out.

tugs114.jpg

One of the several ferry boats returns as they are being used to transport people who visits a nearby island.

ferry boat.jpg

and lastly but not the least, a WWII Japanese battleship was converted as a museum which generates additional income from tourist.

D800E 009.jpg

And that's how this small city generates some of the revenues, not to mention that it is also where the US Navy Seventh Fleet ships are located. Have a great day. :D

Attachments

• D800E 001.jpg
    D800E 001.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 112

SkvLTD

For most residence, it is the typical cul-de-sac or something similar. I just happened to rent a place in an area with a lot of things going on. ;)

Cluster-sac rather, but still pretty cozy most of the time. One of my friends has a pretty rad matchbox outside of Chiba, literally 1 minute walk from JR and slew of 7-11s, shops, restaurants.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice insight,i have nothing interesting out side my house

Mike, I gotta be honest and say I disagree with your comment. While your view may be nothing out of the ordinary to you, to people in other countries, I bet the style of homes, cars, trees, shrubs, flowers, etc may be quite fascinating! Even though there are palm trees here in the US, we don't have them in my area of the country--it is simply too cold--so I LOVE seeing them. My point is there will always be someone who finds your photos unique and interesting because a lot of what is common to you is unique to others!

Take Michael over in Thailand or Glenn in Japan...it's an entirely different culture there than it is here in the US. I enjoy seeing architecture, plants, modes of transportation, etc that aren't easily found here. Even your birds there don't look quite like ours here in the US. Heck even southern US has birds that are somewhat different in looks than ours.

Don't your people drive on the wrong side of the road?!! :p Lol...I always want to flip photos of cars so the steering wheels are on the left side of the cars! ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Mike, I gotta be honest and say I disagree with your comment. While your view may be nothing out of the ordinary to you, to people in other countries, I bet the style of homes, cars, trees, shrubs, flowers, etc may be quite fascinating! Even though there are palm trees here in the US, we don't have them in my area of the country--it is simply too cold--so I LOVE seeing them. My point is there will always be someone who finds your photos unique and interesting because a lot of what is common to you is unique to others!

Take Michael over in Thailand or Glenn in Japan...it's an entirely different culture there than it is here in the US. I enjoy seeing architecture, plants, modes of transportation, etc that aren't easily found here. Even your birds there don't look quite like ours here in the US. Heck even southern US has birds that are somewhat different in looks than ours.

Don't your people drive on the wrong side of the road?!! :p Lol...I always want to flip photos of cars so the steering wheels are on the left side of the cars! ;)

Now that you’ve mentioned it, what I have noticed over the years is that here in Japan, just about everything is reversed, backwards, opposite or whatever you want to call it. As an example, to flush a toilet, you need to reach back with your left hand since it is located on the other side compared to the US. Same goes with locking the doors, reading a book starts from right to left and they read from top to bottom.
However, speaking of toilets, the Japanese have the best toilet seats around. The heated toilet seats and “washlets” as they call them are very nice.

Last edited:

jay_dean

Interesting take. I felt the same as @mikew tbh, but your explanation had a point. Maybe we should kick off a Post Your Street thread:D

jay_dean

Lincolnshire and Yorkshire which is next door yes but the view from my front door no :D
I bet you look out of your front window over rolling hills and woodland to the lake below, peacocks strutting past your 18th Century ornamental fountain etc;)

Felisek

This is a very interesting comment. Right now when I take pictures, I always try to find something "interesting". An amazing view or event, a nice sunset, a waterfall etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Somehow, I didn't realise that ordinary, everyday snapshots can be interesting. But indeed, what looks ordinary for me might be unusual for someone from a different part of the world. I look at Michael's Thailand thread from time to time (thought I admit I don't follow it closely) and I find it quite interesting.

Perhaps I should start a thread of "Everyday Scotland" or similar. No spectacular Highlands views, but perhaps a local shop or a roundabout (a foreign concept in the US as far as I know). It might get me out with the camera a bit more!

Blacktop

This is a very interesting comment. Right now when I take pictures, I always try to find something "interesting". An amazing view or event, a nice sunset, a waterfall etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Somehow, I didn't realise that ordinary, everyday snapshots can be interesting. But indeed, what looks ordinary for me might be unusual for someone from a different part of the world. I look at Michael's Thailand thread from time to time (thought I admit I don't follow it closely) and I find it quite interesting.

Perhaps I should start a thread of "Everyday Scotland" or similar. No spectacular Highlands views, but perhaps a local shop or a roundabout (a foreign concept in the US as far as I know). It might get me out with the camera a bit more!

That would be great! I would follow such thread. I started my Southeast US thread because I thought others would find it interesting who live on the far side of the planet or the US, even though to me, it's not that exciting.

donaldjledet

Same here with my view I get out my window while I'm at work.
Across the lower 48 states. A lot of time I just don't have time to do it justice.