Hello from Calgary, AB

SwainJ

Hey guys my name is Joe, figured I'd pop in and introduce myself. Pretty much a total newbie to DSLR's, and photography other then snapshots in general. I've owned my D3100 for about 3 years now but haven't used it as much as I initially thought I would, but would like to start more and more and have been doing my research on better technique etc. I finally got around to buying some more accessories for the camera in the past two weeks while I am away at work and look forward to trying it out when I get home on Friday.

Aside from the kit lens it came with I ordered the non VR 55-200 AF-S, as well as a 50mm 1.8 Series E to play around with some total manual shooting/macro. Ordered a few other things to play around with, some extension rings without electronic couplers, lens reverse mount, 52-52mm male coupler(unsure if I'll try these two out yet), battery grip w/ remote shutter, CPL/ND filters, and a monopod so I am hopefully more inclined to use it walking around the zoo and such.

I shoot in RAW because I am aware of the greater POST abilities, although I am a total rookie to that as well, have played around with photoshop etc. over the years but never enough to master it(or even come close). Currently have been trying the BBF technique using the AF-L button to lock AF-ON, although haven't got out to shoot much since I've learned how it works. I can totally see the messed up shots letting the camera decide, when it will grab focus of a tree instead of the subject I am shooting.

Anyways sorry for the novel, I will try and post some pics now of what I am not 100% happy with, but believe I can improve on now that I have a better understanding on a few key elements, not sure if it will show the EXIF data or if I have to do something special for that but here's hoping. Any tips/hints/C&C welcome, or any pointers in stellar places to shoot around Calgary, Thanks guys!

jay_dean

Curious how I get the EXIF data to show up when you hover over the pictures?
Just upload using the 'landscape' icon (above) rather than attaching them. This shows the exif. Welcome along.
Untitled.jpg

SwainJ

Try this

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 68

SwainJ

I think my internet connection is preventing me from uploading them proper, no matter what I try it just attaches them and I don't get the image settings screen. I'll have to try again on Saturday when I am home, thanks a lot for your help:)

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 46

Fortkentdad

A warm western welcome from another Albertan - a few hours north of you - well about six actually.

Photography is a great hobby and the D3100 is a fine start - but be forewarned of the dreaded NAS (Nikon acquisition syndrome) But it looks like you may already be affected. There is no cure, but temporary relief is available at any camera store.

I'm heading to Calgary for 10 days later this month (going to SuperTrains Model Railway Show on the 18th) and probably feeding my NAS at "The Camera Store" and other camera stores while I'm there.

SwainJ

Haha ahh, it seems as though any hobby I get into I get the acquisition syndrome. I think now I have decent base to play with, and I'm sure the gear still exceeds my skills, for now :) Pretty excited to try out different lenses and touch into the macro shooting. Thanks for the kind welcoming!