70 / 80 - 200mm to VR or not to VR that is the question

Fortkentdad

Sure, if money were no object I'd buy the newest greatest 80-200 VRII Nikkor, but I'm a frugal photographer. VR is nice. But I'm wondering with the high ISO capacity of a D610 does that take a bit of the shine off of the VR halo? VR pretty much doubles the price from 600-800, to $1300-1500.

I'm considering buying a used 70-200 VRI for about $1,300 or a 80-200 ED for $500-800 (depending on model). That's more than twice the price to get VR (and ever so slightly wider starting point). That VR1 lens is newer but still a used unit. I've have two push pulls already and find that push-pull mechanism a non-issue, but don't know if you can put a tripod foot onto the push-pull 80-200? Will get a chance to look at this lens and put it onto my D610 next week.

BUT I could buy a new 80-200 AF-D ED new for $1250, warranty and all.
Or a new Tamron 70-200 non VR for about $800 (Do I need VR? And it comes with nice case, unlike the new Tamron 70-200 VR (VC) for $1400,
Or Sigma 70-200 OS (VR) for same $1400 or used non OS Sigma for half that. (some reviews put the Sigma clearly in third place after Nikkor and Tamron)
I could not find any Tokina's available except off of eBay - imported from afar - for this level of purchase I'd want to know the vendor and if possible handle the lens.

Or new Nikkor 70-200 F/4 VR for $1300 (all others are F 2.8)

Those with motors also are attractive in that they can work on my D5100 as well. (My wife gets to play with it too then, but she already has a 55-300 DX VR she likes and this lens would be a bit big on a D5100). And someday I'll get a D7100 to replace the D5100.

One thought in the back of my mind is that when I retire (in a few years) I might be run a very part time photography home business. Not to pay the bills but to make this gear pay for itself and to keep myself busy - 'semi-pro' if that's a category. Of course at the time I can always trade in my older gear for newer more professional grade lenses piece by piece. Currently I photograph family, nature and volunteer for children's event photo-shoots. Not into sports photography.

NOTE: All prices are Canadian dollars from websites or used offers/

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Ime going to answer with a question,can you hand hold the 55-300 no problem and have you any health issues that could cause your hand holding ability to diminish over the next few years,i know the 2.8 would be heavier but that can be a benefit up to a point.

Fortkentdad

Ime going to answer with a question,can you hand hold the 55-300 no problem and have you any health issues that could cause your hand holding ability to diminish over the next few years,i know the 2.8 would be heavier but that can be a benefit up to a point.
+

The 55-300 DX is a small lens - I have the vintage long Tamron 200-400 five pounder. I do manage hand held but prefer it on tripod or monopod (it has a foot for a reason). I know the 70 or 80 - 200 are heavier lenses (about the same as my old long tammy). I have a 100-300 Siggy and a 70-210 which are medium sized lenses, even the 105 AFD 2.8 is a bit more lens than the 55-300.

As for my hand health - no serious shake now (I'm 60) - who knows what the future holds. But knock on wood I'll be good. I'm in much better health today than 10 years ago actually.

I can see myself using the 80-200 on a tripod or monopod as often as not. My wife on the other hand is a more petite person and may not care much for a heavier camera & lens. She finds the D610 a bit heavy - prefers the smaller D5100.

J-see

I have the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 and it's a pretty heavy lens. At its shortest it doesn't differ much in length with my 150-600mm. She's at least equally good as the Nikon 70-200mm but a whole lot cheaper.

It's a wonderful lens to shoot, sharp and fast to focus. She might not come in a case but you could buy an awful lot of cases for the price difference with the Nikon.

About the previous version of the Tam the only thing I read was that she did not perform that well. If that's true you'd have to check.

On it I use the VR more than on the 150-600mm.

Last edited: