Any problems D5100

Patrick M

I've had two recently

1. Having a telephoto lens on for a few days taking shots. Then I found the camera didn't recognise the lens...I had to take it off and put it back a couple of times...which suggests maybe the connectors have a problem

2. I got "no ad card" when I'd put in the same 32 g Sandisc that I've used for a while. I put the ca into my pc and into another camera and it's fine. Other cards in the D5100 were also fine, and eventually the 32g was accepted. It could be a fault on the card's connectors but I suspect the camera ...

Slothead

Patrick, How did you realize that your D5100 didn't recognize the long lens? Was it auto-focusing? Was it not communicating the aperture? What?

Joseph Bautsch

More often than not what you are describing, erratic recognition of a device, is a result of dirty contact points, and not a problem with the camera, lens, or card. Cleaning of the contact surfaces usually solves the problem. I use a soft cloth dampened with lens cleaner. Be sure to clean both the lens and the camera contact points. Clean the card and insert in the camera remove it clean again and reinsert. Do this several times. It should solve the problem.

Mark E

Patrick, I am really impressed with the D5100. Don't have one but am looking at soon replacing my D5000. Keep us informed about your use and ideas on the D5100.

fotojack

The biggest card I put in my camera is an 8 GB.....MAX! Normally I use the 4GB cards. I wouldn't dream of using anything bigger, especially not a 32GB!! Good Lord! How many shots do you expect to take in one day? That's overkill, no matter how you look at it! Take your pictures, go home and download them to your computer, reformat the card IN the camera, repeat as necessary. :)

Oh......and follow Joseph's advice. He's right on the money there about keeping the contacts clean.

Joseph Bautsch

Jack is right. The only size card I use is a 4gb. I have eight of them. One 4gb card will hold 525 to 540 RAW shots. I have been on shoots where I have shot eight to nine hundred pictures and have to change cards but that's rare. By the end of the day my arms hurt from holding the camera up. A 4gb card is more than enough for most shoots.

ecm956

my camera fell of a tripod and landed flat on the lcd screen. It now has a problem taking pictures but the autofocus, shutter, and all of the other setting still work perfectly and it still senses the light and can adjust accordingly. The problem is in live view the screen is black and when i take the picture it is just black. the actual screen in playback mode and the settings in the live view mode still show, so the screen is still connected and works fine. The camera just registers the image to be black and when i take the picture it shows up black.

I dont really know what the problem is since it still "works" but its like all the camera can produce is a black image.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
my camera fell of a tripod and landed flat on the lcd screen. It now has a problem taking pictures but the autofocus, shutter, and all of the other setting still work perfectly and it still senses the light and can adjust accordingly. The problem is in live view the screen is black and when i take the picture it is just black. the actual screen in playback mode and the settings in the live view mode still show, so the screen is still connected and works fine. The camera just registers the image to be black and when i take the picture it shows up black.

I dont really know what the problem is since it still "works" but its like all the camera can produce is a black image.

Sorry about your camera. If all the camera can produce is a black image (is that from the lcd or from the card?), then it does NOT work. There might be a circuit board that has broken or a welding inside but if it can't take a picture and record it, then it's not a camera anymore. I think you should take into a shop or see if your home insurance could cover the replacement (some home policies do cover these kind of accidents).

Good luck.