d-lighting and distortion control

thequeenscheese

Is it best generally to shoot with D-Lighting and Distortion control on or off?

Nikon D3200 current lens manual focus 28mm-100mm if that makes a diff although I've got a 18-55mm kit lens on its way...

Fred Kingston

lot of variables before a yes/no answer

Do you shoot RAW or Jpeg?
Which post processing software do you use? Do you actually use post software?

Mine is been Off since new

thequeenscheese

both really but started to use raw more, as for the software I'm trying a few at the min,
picturenaut
dxo optics 8
nx2
luminance

but still learning slowly lol but also I don't want to have to process every shot I take..

Fred Kingston

Those features are in-camera options... they're applied when you take a jpeg image... and they take time to process... I think they slow the image cycling times, so in a fast (sports) situation may not be appropriate.

Either way... they use a pre-determined metric(by Nikon) of what/how much to do... <--speaking mostly about the D-Lighting here... whereas post processing gives you more control to achieve the same results...

I think one of the problems for new photographers to grasp is that you don't NEED all the whiz bang features in today's cameras... and they feel the manufacturer put it there, so they need to use it....

It's better to learn and understand the features, but more importantly, learn the basic functions reeeeally well before adding the whiz bang stuff...

I apologize if this seems preachy... I'm basically a minimalist that started with film, and not much more than a Brownie box camera... there seems to be a rush to compete by adding "features" by the manufactures and IMO, it hurts the new/young photographer by creating a distraction...:eek:

thequeenscheese

Those features are in-camera options... they're applied when you take a jpeg image... and they take time to process... I think they slow the image cycling times, so in a fast (sports) situation may not be appropriate.

Either way... they use a pre-determined metric(by Nikon) of what/how much to do... <--speaking mostly about the D-Lighting here... whereas post processing gives you more control to achieve the same results...

I think one of the problems for new photographers to grasp is that you don't NEED all the whiz bang features in today's cameras... and they feel the manufacturer put it there, so they need to use it....

It's better to learn and understand the features, but more importantly, learn the basic functions reeeeally well before adding the whiz bang stuff...

I apologize if this seems preachy... I'm basically a minimalist that started with film, and not much more than a Brownie box camera... there seems to be a rush to compete by adding "features" by the manufactures and IMO, it hurts the new/young photographer by creating a distraction...:eek:

im not sure what they do really but I agree the less interference with the shooting the better