Extra "junk" photos

Kendall_

Probably has ben posted somewhere already but a brief search didn't find much.

I have the problem of hoarding I guess you could say.

If you go under any of my photo folders on my laptop I have a lot of bad/duplicate photos.

Any day I go out and shoot I put all my photos on my hard drive whether they are good or completely blurry etc.

For some reason I can't bring myself to delete them.

Anyone have this issue? If so, what do you do?

aroy

I still keep all but the most useless images in RAW format. Those that I like I process, crop and convert to jpeg. Most of the out of focus and under/over exposed ones I retain for testing claims the software makers make. As yet I have finished a year with D3300 and have about 26,000 actuations. The RAW files are still manageable at less than 500GB, but after a few years (and may be with higher resolution sensors) I may have to weed out the junk. Till then let the external disks fill up.

NOTE. I build my own PC, so as time goes by I have a reasonably large collection of old hard disks - 80, 160, 300 and 750 GB. I keep all the junk in them, so if they pack up, my problem is solved, if not then one day I will have 50 year old data to peruse thorough.

PapaST

I keep everything just because I'm lazy and drive space is cheap. I export my keepers and move them to a separate folder. And then from that, some of those get uploaded to Flickr.

Horoscope Fish

I used to have that problem but I developed a work flow that prevents it. I use Adobe for my processing but I'm sure the process can be adapted to whatever software someone uses.

I start by pulling up the shot in Adobe Bridge Review Mode. Bridge lets you rate a photo with 1-5 stars or flag it as "Rejected". I cycle through each shot and it eihter gets 1 star, 5 stars or it gets Rejected. I then filter for "Rejected Items" and press the Delete key. I have no use for crap shots so I don't even let them touch my hard drive; they're deleted right from the SD card. 1 star shots are keepers, worth working on in post but nothing special. 5 star, obviously, are the really good ones. Hard drive space is cheap but I don't see any point in keeping obvious trash shots.

Pretzel

I'm still there with ya man. Same boat, and a terabyte drive FULL of photos, plus some overflow (mostly back-up on the good ones). I keep telling myself that I need to go through and clear some out.

Tomorrow....

Blade Canyon

It's hard to delete the junk because I still consider it a record of what I was doing that day, including the mistakes made.

But now I have a D800, and the RAW files are too big to leave a ton of them lying around. Need to change my habits.

PapaST

I used to have that problem but I developed a work flow that prevents it. I use Adobe for my processing but I'm sure the process can be adapted to whatever software someone uses.

I start by pulling up the shot in Adobe Bridge Review Mode. Bridge lets you rate a photo with 1-5 stars or flag it as "Rejected". I cycle through each shot and it eihter gets 1 star, 5 stars or it gets Rejected. I then filter for "Rejected Items" and press the Delete key. I have no use for crap shots so I don't even let them touch my hard drive; they're deleted right from the SD card. 1 star shots are keepers, worth working on in post but nothing special. 5 star, obviously, are the really good ones. Hard drive space is cheap but I don't see any point in keeping obvious trash shots.

I stated my reason... I'm lazy. ;)

J-see

I've taken about 60k shots since August last year and don't think I have 500 of them in my folder if all are processed.

I only keep those shots I consider good. Because I slowly improve in what I do, what I consider good slowly adapts to that. The result is that what last week was good, now not necessarily is and will be axed.

The higher my standards become, the lower the file count on my drive. In the end, there's only the good stuff and if I want to add more of those, I need to do effort while shooting. It keeps pushing me forward.

This evidently doesn't work with shots that have some emotional value.