The long zoom shoot out

Woodyg3

Contributor
I always like Tony and Chelsea's stuff. This was a nice comparison. The bottom line is that there are a lot of nice long lenses to choose from with only very minor differences in sharpness.

J-see

Regardless which lens, it also makes quite the difference once you start using the best parts of it. I had some issues with the Tam's performance but a lot had to do with shooting it all through the range at any aperture that light allowed me.

Since I quit doing that and only use the best parts of the lens and select which the light allows, it really shows in my shots. It's a compromise in which I pay the price in flexibility to gain quality but it's one I gladly pay.

Last edited:

J-see

I came away with the conclusion there is not a lot to choose between them, when you move off test targets into the real world.

In my case 400mm f/6 and 600mm f/10 as sharpest makes it interesting in regards to light. If light is lower I sacrifice some reach for about 1 1/2th stop light without losing that much quality. All the rest of the lens isn't terribly interesting to me.

If needed I evidently use whatever I have but if not, those two ranges/apertures are what I stick to.