B/W

Moab Man

In my opinion, the best thing to do is convert to B&W on the computer as you will have far greater control and editing than a generic conversion done in camera. Of course, this thinking is thrown out the window if you shoot with a red filter as I do, but I still convert this red image to black and white on the computer for creative control.

thequeenscheese

In my opinion, the best thing to do is convert to B&W on the computer as you will have far greater control and editing than a generic conversion done in camera. Of course, this thinking is thrown out the window if you shoot with a red filter as I do, but I still convert this red image to black and white on the computer for creative control.

im pretty new to this tbh, what advantage do you get from the red filter (obv it makes things red lol)

Moab Man

Can really help to bring out the range of contrast. However, some would argue you can do it without using a red filter. My best results have been with a red, but I still need to explore further as to whether the results can be duplicated without the red filter.
Day201Storm.jpg

Horoscope Fish

is it best to shoot in black and white via the cameras menu or post process it?
Definitely better to convert in something like Photoshop. No contest. Mainly because of the degree of control you have when doing the conversion (there's far more to it than simply tossing away color information for the image). In PS you can can control and adjust Hue and Saturation for all three color channels as well as the image's gradient map; all of which affect how the image looks in Black and White.

All of this manipulation is also non-destructive when done correctly in Photoshop or other similar software.

Last edited:

480sparky

Shoot in raw, convert in post.

And to add: Shoot with the camera set to monochrome. You'll still have a full-color raw file to edit from the memory card, but the embedded jpeg that is shown on the camera monitor will by monochrome, so you'll have some sort of idea what the converted image will start out as.