2x teleconverter vs digital cropping??

Jim_Y

I don't do a lot of birding etc, but would like to have a focal length longer than my 200mm. 400mm would do for all that I intend. Question is, other than buying another lens that would hardly ever get used, would a 2x converter work better than just doing a severe digital crop? Camera is D750 with 70-200mm f4 lens.

Jim

J-see

On an f/4 lens the 2x will push the minimum requirements. The D750 should be able to AF up to f/8 which is where you're at with a 2x. If light is low it might start hunting and you'll probably require f/11 to get sharp shots.

If the 2x will outperform crop is something you have to find out. The quality will go down quite a bit when using a 2x. If the 200mm shot is sharp, I'd bet crop could outperform the 2x, if done correctly.

I don't know your lens but when I shoot my 70-200mm f/2.8, and I take a good shot, I can easily crop that until 100%.

If you have the Nikon 70-200 f/4; I just checked the sharpness. It's sharpest at f/5.6 @200mm and degrades a bit at f/11 but not that much. Still, if you connected a 2x between, that sharpness will go down quite some more. I'd test if cropping works well and how far you can take it. You lens should easily be able to take perfectly sharp shots at 200mm, even when zoomed in fully at those shots.

I'd rather use a 1.4x on that lens. 200mm is indeed short but the Nikon 2x costs around 500$ I think. The 1.4x too if I remember well. That's about 1/3th the price of a 300mm f/4 prime.

Many of us first try some alternative approach; be it extension rings, TCs or diopters but in the end, most of us end up buying that lens anyways.

Last edited:

Jim_Y

Nikonpup, that Tamron lens is essentially a DX lense, if I'm no mistaken. How much would I be giving up by using it on an FX camera?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't do a lot of birding etc, but would like to have a focal length longer than my 200mm. 400mm would do for all that I intend. Question is, other than buying another lens that would hardly ever get used, would a 2x converter work better than just doing a severe digital crop? Camera is D750 with 70-200mm f4 lens.

Jim

Jim - for birding, even a 400mm is still short especially when mounted on a fx camera.. Noise becomes an issue at higher iso once you start zooming in at 100 % magnification. unless you are shooting at or near base iso.

Suggestion: as previously suggested, get the Tamron super zoom or a nice prime lens (300mm f4 plus tc)..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-see

Nikonpup, that Tamron lens is essentially a DX lense, if I'm no mistaken. How much would I be giving up by using it on an FX camera?

I'm shooting her on the D750 all the time. It's new to me that it's a DX lens.

The Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm are the only lenses on the market with such a reach without you needing to rob a bank to afford them.

The Tamron does quite well. There's some annoyances with it that might make the new Sigma a better choice would it perform equally well. It's certainly not as sharp as a 300mm or 400mm prime but it's sharp enough for its price.

Last edited:

Jim_Y

Welp, just ordered the Tamron 150-600! Not a bad price for my use and it seems to get really good reviews. Thanks for all the suggestions!