Squeaky 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S

Jonas Grumby

My 17-35mm f/2.8 AF-S has recently begun squeaking sometimes when focusing. I took it to an authorized Nikon repair shop today and the guy told me that this is a common problem with these lenses and to leave it alone as long as it works fine. He said that if he replaced the motor it could start squeaking again, and to only worry about it if the lens stops working. He also rotated the focus ring on mine a few times and said that it was fine and he has seen/heard much worse. Just FYI to anybody who has a AF-S lens that squeaks when focusing. As long as it works, just use it the way it is (apparently).

rocketman122

its the first gen AFS motor. (actually the AF-I were the first I think) the ones in the market are tiring. the 17-35/28-70/80-200 AFS 2.8 were the first trio to have them.
my friends 17-35 is also dying or is dead as well. I sent my 28-70 to taiwan. cheaper and faster than anyone would in the US would do it if I had to send it there. im ot from the US.

http://nikonites.com/general-lenses...-nrc-nikon-rumors-70-200-vr1-restoration.html

just be aware that a 17-35 used on ebay costs $800 more or less. usually less. for that amount, personally you might consider keeping it to use till it does then maybe going with a 16-35VR which is around $1000 now or the new tamron 15-30 VC 2.8 which is at least on nikons 14-24 AFS level.

Last edited:

Nikkon

Mine is squeeking since i got it (second hand). still works. after a couple of times focussing the squeeking is gone (till next time...)