That spec of dust!!

Richard500

Hello everyone, yes I know, it has been a very long time since I last visited or contributed but I have several excuses! I moved home, I spent hours decorating and gardening, I even took some photographs but I neglected you!

However, grovelling over, I have a new camera. I sold my D60 and upgraded to a D5200 and I love it!

I do have a small problem though. I have noticed a small dot in the viewfinder at about 11 o'clock at the edge of the centre square and it's driving me mad. I have tested by shooting a white background and cannot see any sign of the dot there so I have concluded that the sensor is ok - is it? I have cleaned the lens and I have cleaned the viewfinder. Where can this spec of dust be hiding and is it accessible for me to clean? I have also asumed that the inner part of the lens must be clear given that the spec does not actually appear on my test sheet.

Am I just being picky?

Regards

Richard

Attachments

• _DSC0005_0025.jpg
    _DSC0005_0025.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 156

Bill16

I'm certainly no pro at this, but I would guess the speck of dust might be either on the mirror or the inside of the viewfinder.
But I'd be careful. The need to clean it isn't very big since it isn't messing your photos up. But I understand the feeling, being driven crazy by the speck.

You have my empathy. :)

Richard500

I just had a look at YouTube and decided to try a cleaning kit - at worst I may replace the focus screen but get camera expert to do it for money!

Scott Murray

I just had a look at YouTube and decided to try a cleaning kit - at worst I may replace the focus screen but get camera expert to do it for money!
I would not worry about it as it does not affect the picture... My Eye piece has many dust spots but I accept those and those inside some lenses :)

MartinCornwall

It's probably on the mirror, get a rocket blower and give it a blast with the camera facing the floor. No point in paying for it as next time you change lenses another one could appear.