recording interrupted - 128GB - Lexar Professional x600 - exFAT

username87672

Hello, I own a Nikon d3200 and will explain my SD card issues and results.

My original and fully functional 32GB SDHC that gave me 0 problems is this - Samsung 32GB Class 6 SDHC Standard Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk

1: I wanted to get a larger card so purchased this card - Transcend 128GB Ultimate SDXC UHS Ultra High Speed Class 3 Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk

As soon as I inserted the card and formatted it via the camera things seemed a bit weird. Raw + F taking a long time to save, usually about 15-20 seconds per shot.

The primary issue was recording video. It would fail after 5 seconds and give me a "recording interrupted" error for 1080p. For 720p it would fail after 20 seconds. I googled various combinations until I read a few things that seemed to conclude it was a transcend + Nikon issue and decided to return the card to get another one that was officially supported so that problem would go away.

Here is the second card I purchased.

Lexar Professional 128GB Class 10 UHS-1 600X 90MB/s High Speed SDXC Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk

The second card I purchased is listed as supported for this Camera

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18128/~/approved-memory-cards---d3200

2: When I got this new Lexar card I experienced the exact same issues, literally the exact same set of problems. The most frustrating part of all this was that I originally had a 32GB Samsung class 6 card that performed perfectly and still did. No issues whatsoever with the Samsung SDHC.

This led me to start comparing SDHC vs SDXC and this is where i found out what the problem is. The SDXC use exFAT and the SDHC don't. The SDHC works perfectly and the SDXC is nothing but problems so I decided to test a theory.

3: I downloaded this tool Verbatim FAT32 Tool and forced formatted my Lexar SDXC 128GB to use FAT32 instead of exFAT and put it back in the camera. It now works perfectly.

Conclusion: My firmware is C 1.03 / L 2.002 and this firmware does not perform properly with exFAT formated SDXC cards. My 128GB SDXC card work fine when formatted to FAT32.

My original SDHC works fine as either FAT32 or exFAT so I think perhaps it is a combination of exFAT and card sizes greater than 32GB.

Does anyone have any input, advice or help for me on this issue since I can only assume I need to rely on a firmware update that probably won't happen or use 32GB cards only.

Edit: or looking at this again: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18128/~/approved-memory-cards---d3200 is that exactly what it implies when it lists the Lexar professional 128Gb as a compatible SDHC? Then why would the camera format it as exFAT, meh. Why is it not in the SDXC section?

Last edited:

WayneF

Edit: or looking at this again: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18128/~/approved-memory-cards---d3200 is that exactly what it implies when it lists the Lexar professional 128Gb as a compatible SDHC? Then why would the camera format it as exFAT, meh. Why is it not in the SDXC section?

You link about Approved memory cards specifies:

1. Lexar SDHC to 128 GB

2. SDXC cards to 64GB.

Whether not that is an actual difference, I don't know, but you might try a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card.

username87672

It does not help this article gives different specs for compatible cards such as 128MB instead of 128GB

Nikon | Imaging Products | Specifications - Nikon D3200

But then this article - https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60445/kw/d3200 sd again shows something else when you select the D3200 from the dropdown shows that the 128GB Lexar Professional is a supported SDXC.

2015-03-14_15-21-27.jpg

Basically I think the only valid option is to use a 32GB card since there is a real issue here. Before anyone says but the "Full-HD Video" spec say... please remember my class 6 Samsung 32GB works perfectly for recording maximum spec HD videos for a full 20 minutes.

Last edited:

WayneF

Before anyone says but the "Full-HD Video" spec say... please remember my class 6 Samsung 32GB works perfectly for recording maximum spec HD videos for a full 20 minutes.

Speed and size are different card properties.

Nikon specs that HD video can use a Class 6 card. Which is not fast, but fast enough - a 20 minute video has 20 minutes to write the card. Fast enough for video.

Large just holds more images or more minutes of video. Then speed could be a concern at the card reader, if downloading many GB of files at once. But in the camera for video, fast is wasted. Class 6 works.

Other than downloads, DSLR still pictures surely are very concerned with speed if using continuous shutter burst mode with large raw files. But just taking one JPG every minute or two is Not a speed concern. Downloading a few hundred of them in a card reader probably does become a speed concern.

We will want a USB 3.0 reader to download fast cards.