Nikkor 35-70 AF-s Silent Wave and

beadaholic

I have a 17-35 AF-S Silent Wave ED and a 28-70mm AF-S Silent Wave ED lenses and I love my lenses and setup. My problem is that I was ill for quite some time and stored by lenses in the case with everything else for a few years. Now that I am alot better, active and wanting to play with my "toys" two of the lenses have stopped working.

The AF-S Silent Wave 17-35mm 2.8 will occasionally auto focus, but most of the time it does nothing, and doesn't even make a sound. The body I am using this on at the moment is a D2x (new to me recently) I had originally purchased a D1x new for these lenses. It does the same thing on both bodies. Basically nothing. I have taken alcohol and cleaned the contacts and while this sorta got the lense going again it seemed for a few seconds but it makes a scrapping noise but it did focus. But then after another try it is back to doing nothing. It does work manually.

The other is a AF-S 28-70mm 2.8D ED Silent Wave lense, this does nothing at all, no noise, no nothing, works great manually though.

These both were stored in a cool area, inside a very good case, they did not fall or anything like that. I want to get these going again and they are very worthy lenses. Any ideas other than taking them in to be repaired ($$$) especially here in Mexico City where everything is way more expensive than in the US. Ouch! Thank you for any advice that might help!

Last edited:

beadaholic

Thank you Mike! haha, that is nice of you. I am hoping to save a bit if I can get them going again, better to ask before I take them in. We will have to see what happens. Glad to be back to being able to enjoy myself and my Cameras!

paul04

Welcome to the website.

How about using the lens for about a week on the camera, with auto focus on, with a bit of use, it might come back to life, without having to take it for repair.

beadaholic

What a great idea, I will give this a good try!

Now for another question. Can I lubricate or oil these lenses in any way. I would never try this unless I know this is something I should do, or need to do. But one of them does feel somewhat "tight" to me and makes a little bit of a squeeking noise when turning. I do not want to harm it in any way. I have never been able to find out if a lense should or can be lubricated. Thanks for the great responses! I will let you know what happens.

Nikkon

about that 17-35, i have the same lens and it occasionally makes a squeaking noise when autofocussing. that could be preceding a defect af motor. it seems a common problem with this lens. maybe the af motor in yours is already defective.

beadaholic

Yes I have two big zoom lenses that are AF and both do autofocus, so it isn't that. Been using them and still nothing. When I put them away they both were working fine, so I am pretty sure it is just being put away. (there is no internal battery in these right? They get their power from the camera?) Thank you though!

I ask this question again, might be a dumb question but I would like someone in the know to answer it (Thanks!)
Now for another question. Can I lubricate or oil these lenses in any way. I would never try this unless I know this is something I should do, or need to do. But one of them does feel somewhat "tight" to me and makes a little bit of a squeeking noise when turning. I do not want to harm it in any way. I have never been able to find out if a lense should or can be lubricated. Thanks for the great responses! I will let you know what happens.

SkvLTD

You really don't want to lubricate the newer ones. Far less pure mechanics involved and far more electronics that may not enjoy that oil. This is sadly the ongoing issue with the older AF-S glass - it is getting older and older, and given how gimmicky it's made, once those little motors or bearings go, they just go and repairs are either out in China or cost too much.