Anyone Shoot in Jpeg with our D7100's

Paganman2

Just wondered if it is worth it over NEF that i normally shoot in? i enjoy the whole package including the artwork following capture but i just wondered if the camera's brain could do a better job than me, sometimes i look at my NEF files after pp work in Lightroom and still feel they are missing something, almost as if i need to push all the sliders in LR up to Max - if you see what i mean, where as sometimes a Jpeg can have all that added at no extra cost - so to speak.

P.

480sparky

I really hate leaving all that data laying on the ground after each shot. I prefer to use my own brain instead of someone else's who has no idea what my style of shooting is.

If your JPEG shots look better then you need to do more work in your Post Processing. Study and learn. And in the meantime shoot JPEG Fine Plus RAW and use the JPEG for show and WORK HARDER TO LEARN HOW TO PROCESS YOUR PHOTOS.

There is no way that JPEG will be as good as RAW once you learn what you are doing.

Paganman2

I just dont seem to be getting my $1500 worth of quality out of my NEF - LR4 - Jpeg files they are not bad just not jumping out at me grabbing me by the throat and saying - look at all the derail. DR and color.

P.

Paganman2

If your JPEG shots look better then you need to do more work in your Post Processing. Study and learn. And in the meantime shoot JPEG Fine Plus RAW and use the JPEG for show and WORK HARDER TO LEARN HOW TO PROCESS YOUR PHOTOS.

There is no way that JPEG will be as good as RAW once you learn what you are doing.

I have had my LR4.4 now for nearly 2 years i have processed nearly 3000 RAW or NEF files through it, i have got to the stage where i am pretty conversant with it, you have seen some of my D90 pics i have shown on here- they are the best i can get from a NEF to Jpeg heavily processed in LR, i was slightly held back by my 55-300Vr as it was not super sharp, but i now have more faith in my 70-300Vr but as yet i am waiting to see that extra quality that will hopefully come from my d7100 and 70-300Vr.

P.

Blacktop

I have had my LR4.4 now for nearly 2 years i have processed nearly 3000 RAW or NEF files through it, i have got to the stage where i am pretty conversant with it, you have seen some of my D90 pics i have shown on here- they are the best i can get from a NEF to Jpeg heavily processed in LR, i was slightly held back by my 55-300Vr as it was not super sharp, but i now have more faith in my 70-300Vr but as yet i am waiting to see that extra quality that will hopefully come from my d7100 and 70-300Vr.

P.

Check out this photostream if you have any doubts about your 7100 with the 70-300mm VR lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myd7100/

P.
heavily processed is not necessarily the best processing that can be done though if you think JPEG looks better

Vixen

I only shoot jpeg if I am posting lots of shots online and can't be bothered to do heaps of PPíng. This is rare. So No......I shoot RAW 99.9% of the time and pp ;)

I only shoot jpeg if I am posting lots of shots online and can't be bothered to do heaps of PPíng. This is rare. So No......I shoot RAW 99.9% of the time and pp ;)

I did that once and then had some killer photos and all I had was the JPEG. I was so mad at myself then. If I ever have that urge again I will at least shoot JPEG Fine Plus RAW. That way I can forget about the JPEG and just use the RAW

mikew_RIP

If your not doing paid work give Jpeg a try,i tried it once said never again,then again came with another try but no more for me,perhaps you need to convince yourself which is best for you.

Fred Kingston

P.

Why not process a NEF to where you like it, save it as a Pre-set... and have LR automatically apply THAT pre-set when you Import new NEF files?

That's essentially all your camera is doing when it creates a Jpeg image. It see RAW, and applies a pre-set filter to the RAW data, and creates a Jpeg image.

You can do the same thing with Lightroom...

Lookup how to apply pre-sets on Import

SteveL54

This.
I still shoot in both, and find myself going more and more for the RAW. Once you learn the basics of processing, you won't go back.
Look at the example by @Blacktop. That could have never been rescued in JPEG.

Horoscope Fish

Just wondered if it is worth it over NEF that i normally shoot in? i enjoy the whole package including the artwork following capture but i just wondered if the camera's brain could do a better job than me, sometimes i look at my NEF files after pp work in Lightroom and still feel they are missing something, almost as if i need to push all the sliders in LR up to Max - if you see what i mean, where as sometimes a Jpeg can have all that added at no extra cost - so to speak.
In-camera JPG's can look pretty good but you're leaving the decision making up to the camera and you're forever surrendering the option to work creatively with the image file. Oh sure you CAN do post processing on a JPG but what you can do there, versus what you can do with a RAW file, is almost beyond fair comparison. For shots that I frankly just don't care much about, JPG would be fine assuming shooting conditions are pretty much ideal. If we're talking about shots I would, shall we say, be "putting my name to" then I'm going to want the full control that comes from shooting in RAW.

Your comment about pushing all the sliders to their maximum is a little disconcerting, in my mind at least, and leaves me wondering how much you've educated yourself on how to post-process to begin with. In my opinion post processing is as much an art as good photography itself is and doing post processing is no less a part of digital photography than taking the shot is. Really good shots require getting it right in-camera *and* in post' and that continuum requires a well developed set of skills in both arenas. Sometimes I think there is a general misconception that really good photography is easy and in my experience nothing could be further from the truth. In fact the very first lesson my very first photography mentor told me was, and I quote, "Photography is work." He also had a penchant for understatement as I would only later discover.

Pretzel

RAW + Jpeg fine for me. RAW one one card, Jpegs on the other. Ahh, I love this primal beast they call the D7100.

Want a pic you can post fast? Grab the Jpegs! Otherwise, there's soooooooooo much more you can do with the RAW files in PP, and that's half the joy (at least for me).

Lawrence

RAW + Jpeg fine for me. RAW one one card, Jpegs on the other. Ahh, I love this primal beast they call the D7100.

Want a pic you can post fast? Grab the Jpegs! Otherwise, there's soooooooooo much more you can do with the RAW files in PP, and that's half the joy (at least for me).

I'll be doing this for the first time today as I am the main photographer at a charity fund raising walk. Pretty nervous as there is a whole list of shots I have to take.
As there will be lots of shots I am shooting in both in the hope that the Jpegs are good enough to hand over tomorrow. If not I will have some processing to do.